Secret of Monkey Island background music while playing?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eescalante

Secret of Monkey Island background music while playing?

Post by eescalante »

I haven't played The Secret of Monkey Island in a long time...so I don't remember it clearly at all.
However, when I try to play in Scumm, there is no backgroud music. The sound effects (doors opening, etc.) work fine - but I haven't heard any music.

Was there no music in the game? (Note: i've only played for a few minutes since I was distracted by the lack of music and kept trying to remember if this was the way it has when I played in native DOS mode over 20 years ago).
In other games, I hear both sound effects and music.

Thanks in advance!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Secret of Monkey Island background music while playing?

Post by Praetorian »

eescalante wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 pm I haven't played The Secret of Monkey Island in a long time...so I don't remember it clearly at all.
However, when I try to play in Scumm, there is no backgroud music. The sound effects (doors opening, etc.) work fine - but I haven't heard any music.

Was there no music in the game? (Note: i've only played for a few minutes since I was distracted by the lack of music and kept trying to remember if this was the way it has when I played in native DOS mode over 20 years ago).

Thanks in advance!
The VGA CD version needs the CD audio extracted for any music to play. Still the game does not *always* play music, but you should to be able hear music tracks at specific instances (definitely during the intro credits, and chapter screens)
eescalante

Post by eescalante »

Thank you!
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

Praetorian wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:36 pm
eescalante wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 pm I haven't played The Secret of Monkey Island in a long time...so I don't remember it clearly at all.

Thanks in advance!
The VGA CD version needs the CD audio extracted for any music to play. Still the game does not *always* play music, but you should to be able hear music tracks at specific instances (definitely during the intro credits, and chapter screens)
I can confirm that The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA CD version) needs to have its audio ripped in order to be heard. However, I think some of the MIDI-based background music coded into the game's core files would play before I ripped the audio.

Can you tell me which other ScummVM-compatible games that are CD-based require audio to be ripped from the CD? The only other one I can remember is Loom for the PC and FM Towns Marty.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

RetroADV316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pm Can you tell me which other ScummVM-compatible games that are CD-based require audio to be ripped from the CD? The only other one I can remember is Loom for the PC and FM Towns Marty.
Quite a lot of them, and I don't have a complete list myself. These are the game CDs in my collection where I found audio tracks and where ScummVM recognizes the game. (Which doesn't necessarily mean the game is fully supported yet, of course.) In some cases, the tracks are just a bonus not actually used in the game. Music, interviews... that sort of thing.
  • The 7th Guest
  • Big Red Adventure (not supported)
  • Blue Force
  • Drascula
  • DreamWeb (music, I'm not sure if it's used in the game or not)
  • Fascination
  • Freddi Fish 5 (music, not used in the game)
  • Future Wars (CD-version) (Track breaks are incorrect? I had to rip it as one continuous track and cut it up.)
  • Gobliiins (CD-version)
  • Gobliins 2 (CD-version)
  • Goblins Quest 3 (CD-version)
  • Inca II (not supported)
  • Jones in the Fast Lane (CD-version)
  • Just Grandma And Me
  • King's Quest VI (CD-version) (End credits song?)
  • Little Big Adventure
  • Loom (TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine)
  • Loom (FM Towns)
  • Loom (PC VGA)
  • Lost In Time
  • The Manhole (1992 version)
  • Return to Zork (CD-version)
  • Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch (interview and music, not used in the game)
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road (CD-version) (music, not used in the game)
  • The Secret of Monkey Island (CD-version)
  • Spy Fox 3 (music, not used in the game but advertised on the cover)
There's also the FM Towns version of Zak McKracken, but I only have that through GOG. Not the actual CD.

As well as some - maybe even a lot - of games that I don't have, of course.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

RetroADV316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pmHowever, I think some of the MIDI-based background music coded into the game's core files would play before I ripped the audio.
There is no MIDI music in the CD version of Monkey Island at all.
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 pm
RetroADV316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pmHowever, I think some of the MIDI-based background music coded into the game's core files would play before I ripped the audio.
There is no MIDI music in the CD version of Monkey Island at all.
Hmm... The Secret of Monkey Island was the first ScummVM emulated game I had to rip CD audio for. Because I wasn't sure how to get the Flac files recognized by ScummVM, I had to try launching the game and altering the file names a few times until I figured out how to get ScummVM to recognize the files. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing some music in Monkey Island, even though the emulator gave me a warning that it couldn't find ripped audio for the game, and that I would need to rip it myself to hear the music.
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:40 am
RetroADV316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pm Can you tell me which other ScummVM-compatible games that are CD-based require audio to be ripped from the CD? The only other one I can remember is Loom for the PC and FM Towns Marty.
Quite a lot of them, and I don't have a complete list myself. These are the game CDs in my collection where I found audio tracks and where ScummVM recognizes the game. (Which doesn't necessarily mean the game is fully supported yet, of course.) In some cases, the tracks are just a bonus not actually used in the game. Music, interviews... that sort of thing.
  • The 7th Guest
  • Big Red Adventure (not supported)
  • Blue Force
  • Drascula
  • DreamWeb (music, I'm not sure if it's used in the game or not)
  • Fascination
  • Freddi Fish 5 (music, not used in the game)
  • Future Wars (CD-version) (Track breaks are incorrect? I had to rip it as one continuous track and cut it up.)
  • Gobliiins (CD-version)
  • Gobliins 2 (CD-version)
  • Goblins Quest 3 (CD-version)
  • Inca II (not supported)
  • Jones in the Fast Lane (CD-version)
  • Just Grandma And Me
  • King's Quest VI (CD-version) (End credits song?)
  • Little Big Adventure
  • Loom (TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine)
  • Loom (FM Towns)
  • Loom (PC VGA)
  • Lost In Time
  • The Manhole (1992 version)
  • Return to Zork (CD-version)
  • Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch (interview and music, not used in the game)
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road (CD-version) (music, not used in the game)
  • The Secret of Monkey Island (CD-version)
  • Spy Fox 3 (music, not used in the game but advertised on the cover)
There's also the FM Towns version of Zak McKracken, but I only have that through GOG. Not the actual CD.

As well as some - maybe even a lot - of games that I don't have, of course.
Thanks for the list! I used to have The 7th Guest for the PC, and I do remember one of the discs having redbook audio. I can't remember if the same was true of The 11th Hour, the game's sequel.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Lost in Time also has a floppy version so it'd be the CD version that would have the digital tracks (obviously). Just mentioning since it wasn't notated with "(CD-version)" like the other games.
RetroADV316 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 am Hmm... The Secret of Monkey Island was the first ScummVM emulated game I had to rip CD audio for. Because I wasn't sure how to get the Flac files recognized by ScummVM, I had to try launching the game and altering the file names a few times until I figured out how to get ScummVM to recognize the files. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing some music in Monkey Island, even though the emulator gave me a warning that it couldn't find ripped audio for the game, and that I would need to rip it myself to hear the music.
I don't know about your version, but I just tried removing the FLAC files in mine and it gave me the warning and there was no music.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:33 pm Lost in Time also has a floppy version so it'd be the CD version that would have the digital tracks (obviously). Just mentioning since it wasn't notated with "(CD-version)" like the other games.
Ah, I had forgotten about that. It's not a game I think about a lot. :)
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

As a follow-up to my question about games with redbook audio, Foobar played a few tracks off the 1st CD of Zork: Grand Inquisitor for Windows. All but one of these tracks were just sound effects that play during the installer module, and the sole outlying track was just some generic music. CD2 of Zork: Grand Inquisitor only had one audio track, which was a sound effect that plays when the launching menu is interacted with. These tracks could all be WAV files that Foobar picked up by scanning the disc, but it matters not: none of the audio tracks should be ripped if you are going to copy game files to play the game using ScummVM!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

RetroADV316 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:37 am As a follow-up to my question about games with redbook audio, Foobar played a few tracks off the 1st CD of Zork: Grand Inquisitor for Windows. All but one of these tracks were just sound effects that play during the installer module, and the sole outlying track was just some generic music. CD2 of Zork: Grand Inquisitor only had one audio track, which was a sound effect that plays when the launching menu is interacted with.
None of my Zork: Grand Inquisitor discs have any audio tracks on them, so I guess it's more likely that it picked up some other audio files. There was a CD with music from the game though, but I don't know how widely available that was. (Mine says "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY".)

I do have one other Zork CD with audio tracks on it... but ScummVM doesn't support the Japanese version of Zork I, I wouldn't understand it, and I don't even like the music anyway. :D