Looking for help to mod Myst III textures

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

klamann

Looking for help to mod Myst III textures

Post by klamann »

Hi everyone, I just found out about ScummVM today, since I tried to find a way to run Myst III Exile in Widescreen. With the ScummVM daily build, this just works out of the box, and you even made the black bar with the books at the bottom of the window only appear on demand, I love it!

It took me a while to find out about the relationship between ResidualVM and ScummVM though, maybe a short notice about ScummVM at the top of the ResidualVM GitHub Readme would be helpful? I wasn't able to submit an issue report there, because the project is archived now, but maybe someone with access to that repo is reading this forum.

Anyway, I found this guide on GitHub that explains how I can mod the game textures with ResidualVM, and I'd like to give it a try. Can you point me to some documentation how I can achieve a similar result with ScummVM? I would need a way to export all textures and to display the adjusted textures ingame, preferably without having to convert them to DDS first.

cheers
klamann

edit:
Here's what I got so far: I can open the debug console (with ctrl+alt+d) and export textures as jpg with dumpArchive. This only works if you have write permissions in your ScummVM folder, which won't be the case if you installed it on Windows, so you should copy your ScummVM install folder somewhere else or give write permissions to your user on that folder. I cannot make ScummVM load the exported textures by setting enable_external_assets=true in scummvm.ini and the modArchive command is not available in ScummVM. I'm thinking about switching back to ResidualVM, since essential stuff doesn't seem to be available in ScummVM yet. What do you think?