Thousands of games needing testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GateKeeper

Re: Thousands of games needing testing

Post by GateKeeper »

I managed to have a new short test round.

There seems to be something wrong with the latest version I downloaded, windows-x86-64-master-23d52a14.
A-Z keys don't work, and keys that do something, mostly do something wrong. Backspace produces question mark, comma produces capital H, and so on. Dot produces dot though. I assume this is already a known issue, because if it's like that for everyone it's very easy to encounter.

All games were added using that version, and I tried to run games with that version as far as I could, but for games that use keyboard for anything (which is practically speaking every game), I used an earlier version windows-x86-64-master-0c3be802.

James Peris

The game was properly recognised, it runs as expected, saving and loading works. I did get stuck due to that keyboard issue when the game asks for a name, but the earlier version worked.

Professor Neely And The Death Ray Of Doom

The game was properly recognised it runs as expected, saving and loading works. The only minor issue is that the game is recognised as "Prof. Neely" and not with the full title, whether that matters to anyone, I don't know.

Big Trouble in Little Imola

Adding the game causes first a message with three options to appear:

Code: Select all

Adventure Game (English) - Unknown variant
Adventure Quest 2 (English) - Unknown variant
Adventure Game Studio Game (English) - Unknown variant
Trying to add the first two doesn't do much, because only the third option has "Add anyway" button. Hitting that causes an error message to appear:

The game in 'GGAIT 0.5\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: adventuregame

{"adventure.exe", 0, "495d45fb8adfd49690ae3b97921feec6", 711456988},
If I interpret the console correctly, it's 3.4.0.16 version.
The game appears as Adventure Game Studio Game in the menu view, and starting the game from the menu will start the game. The game will run, saving and loading works too. Just like few other games, it seems to be running slow.

Not really a bug, but just like in the original game, it's a bit confusing that the default language is Italian and English language must be set in the options. Maybe ScummVM automatically choosing English if the GUI language is English might help in these kind of cases?

I also got a little adventurous (heh!) and used "Lucky dip" on AGS site to get some games that I had never played before and weren't even adventures (!).

Horse Park Fantasy

This is a French language horse race game.

Adding the game causes an error message to appear:

The game in 'Horse Park Fantasy\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: ags-fallback

{"Horse Park Fantasy.exe", 0, "615e73fc1874e92d60a1996c2330ea36", 16576614},
If I interpret the console correctly, it's 3.2.0 version.
The game appears as Adventure Game Studio Game in the menu view, and starting the game from the menu will start the game. The game will run, saving and loading works too. I did get stuck due to that keyboard issue when the game asks for a name, but the earlier version worked.

There are some minor visual things. In the "nom" field where the player enters the name, the text is not properly aligned and is partially outside the text box. The same happens with two buttons next to it.

Corners Shiny (2013 edition)

This is a platformer game.

Adding the game causes an error message to appear:

The game in 'Corners Shiny (2013 edition)\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: ags-fallback

{"Corner's Shiny.exe", 0, "74dc062c5f68f3d70da911f2db5737b6", 2245296},
If I interpret the console correctly, it's 3.2.0 version.
The game appears as Adventure Game Studio Game in the menu view, and starting the game from the menu will start the game. The game will run, I did get stuck due to that keyboard issue because the game is keyboard controlled, and just starting the actual game requires jumping with a D button.

The earlier version worked, but only partially. F button that is used to grab onto something doesn't work at all, so basically you can't get very far in the game, and you can't get past the first high wall. When the timer runs out, the game is supposed to start the level again from the beginning, but the ScummVM simply closes (crashes?) at that point.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

GateKeeper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:28 pm There seems to be something wrong with the latest version I downloaded, windows-x86-64-master-23d52a14.
A-Z keys don't work, and keys that do something, mostly do something wrong. Backspace produces question mark, comma produces capital H, and so on. Dot produces dot though. I assume this is already a known issue, because if it's like that for everyone it's very easy to encounter.
Dreammaster was working on the key handling yesterday and made two changes. I think the version you tried has the first but not the second change.
Threepwood

Post by Threepwood »

Hi,

does anyone know a way to extract the self extracting exe files from ags games within Linux without using wine? I tried different tools, but none matched. (And please don't tell me how to use wine - i know it - but i want to find a better way.)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

criezy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm Dreammaster was working on the key handling yesterday and made two changes. I think the version you tried has the first but not the second change.
I'll do some experiments tonight just to make sure everything is working fine.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Threepwood wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm Hi,

does anyone know a way to extract the self extracting exe files from ags games within Linux without using wine? I tried different tools, but none matched. (And please don't tell me how to use wine - i know it - but i want to find a better way.)
Did you try to use `innoextract`? Worked for me in most cases.

Eugene
Threepwood

Post by Threepwood »

[quote=sev post_id=95114 time=1618247997 user_id=9]
[quote=Threepwood post_id=95110 time=1618245155 user_id=2021]
Hi,

[/quote]

Did you try to use `innoextract`? Worked for me in most cases.

Eugene
[/quote]

Yes, I tried innoextract, as well as 7z, unzip, cabextract and unrar. Didn't work on MM deluxe and Space Quest for Glory.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

Threepwood wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, I tried innoextract, as well as 7z, unzip, cabextract and unrar. Didn't work on MM deluxe and Space Quest for Glory.
If you download agsarchives torrent, that has MMDeluxe.zip in 2004 games.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

dreammaster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:36 pm
criezy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm Dreammaster was working on the key handling yesterday and made two changes. I think the version you tried has the first but not the second change.
I'll do some experiments tonight just to make sure everything is working fine.
I did a fix for how non-alphanumeric characters. It'll be available in the next nightly, depending on when it's built.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

Infamous Adventures Kings Quest 3 is currently crashing as soon as the wolf howling at the moon is supposed to appear. Running on latest daily build.

Console message:
Game title: 'Kings Quest III'
Checking for disk space
Game Native Resolution: 320 x 200 (16 bit)
Graphics settings: driver: Scummvm, windowed: no, screen def: max, screen size: 0x0, match device ratio: yes, game scale: proportional
Mouse control: off, base: 1.000000, speed: 1.000000
WARNING: TODO: video_on_gfxmode_changed!
Initialize sprites
Engine Initialization complete
Starting game
WARNING: channel 2 - same clip assigned
WARNING: failed to find RIFF header!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

failure to allocate 201326592 bytes
Is fixed on my end, never got this again while testing to run the games on todays build...

...though, i was only able to start one game by now (Space Quest IV.5)...let it run briefly through the intro.
All other tested games freeze after some HDD activity, nothing on the console, no game screen. 100% cpu, seems like a loop not finishing somewhere.
(Those are Space Quest -> Decision of the Elders, Son of Xenon, Vohaul Strikes Back, Incinerations)

Any help on what is going on or how i could give more usable feedback?
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

I'm using Windows 10 X64. I'm currently playing Space Quest II - VGA Remake by Infamous Adventures https://infamousadventures.itch.io/spac ... ga-remake/. Had no issues so far.

I also tried Space Quest - Incinerations by Box of Mystery http://www.boxofmystery.com/games/incinerations/. The game runs fine except for some performance drops. I'm wondering if this is because of the ScummVM development build. I think I read a comment on the forum that development builds are compiled without optimizations. Could that be the reason?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:16 am Any help on what is going on or how i could give more usable feedback?
I'm kind of scratching my head on what to suggest. With AGS running under ScummVM, we're greatly expanding the number of systems it runs under. I'm not even sure the original is 100% endian safe, or it could be issues of structure packing, since I'm seen a few cases in class comments where it says "this structure must be 8 bytes".

What's really needed is probably to run a sample game side by side in a debugger with, say, the Windows version, and see if any divergence can be identified due to endian/structure issues.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:09 am What's really needed is probably to run a sample game side by side in a debugger with, say, the Windows version, and see if any divergence can be identified due to endian/structure issues.
If, as a stop-gap solution, the debug output from ScummVM could help?
gdb (or any other debugger, for that matter) is out of the question (for now) on my platform.

But if i could look for games that run on my local build (e.g. Space Quest IV.5 - The Quest home) and provide ScummVM's debug oputput, together with the debug output from a game that doesn't run (most of the rest) :-)

Maybe some more debug output is needed?
And maybe i should let it run with a higher debug number?

I remember a massive amount of returning digits in the console after it tried it once...but as long as i don't know what you'd need or what exactly i should look for, it's moot to try it again, isn't it?

Thank you for helping out
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

@Raziel

Is it possible for you to play the Space Quest IV.5 game?

I tried it with Windows 10 X64 but nothing happens when I use the walk icon.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Alien Grey wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 am @Raziel

Is it possible for you to play the Space Quest IV.5 game?

I tried it with Windows 10 X64 but nothing happens when I use the walk icon.
Same here, walk icon changes active status if i move it over unwalkabple objects, but clicking anywhere walkable doesn't work.
Stuck under a Mallard :-)