Thousands of games needing testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Thousands of games needing testing

Post by dreammaster »

EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am First, thanks for implementing the ags engine.

Now for a question. Am I correct in the assumption that the detection details are mostly based on the versions which are included in the agsarchive torrent (or similar collection)?

I'm asking because I had some problems with some game's which I recently got from the ags website directly. And after I've decided to get some versions from the archive, the issues were gone.
Yes, the bulk of the detection list does come from the agsarchive torrent. To aid in setting up the detection list, I created a "game scanner" within the engine as a special mode. It scans through a given folder and all subdirectories, and builds up a list of any unknown AGS games. It also extracts their game title from within the game itself, which is why some game names in the list are off from what's expected. The author's haven't always been pedantic about updating their names before release. So building the list based on the torrent was easier than downloading games from the website one at a time.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am An example would be The Tale of Lonkey Island (short: lonkey.exe). It seems that the version from the archive is an older one. Sorry, I tried to figure out which version exactly but I wasn't able to find that information. The currently available version on the ags website is 1.2.https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... ey-island/

Which is recognized as:

Code: Select all

The game in 'lonkey' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: lonkeyisland

{"lonkey.exe", 0, "4e92c6db88a34b62eef37a621aabfb53", 44114957},

But even after adding it anyway, no game files can be found.
I did a bit of an experimentation, and realized that since the website version doesn't have a known detection, if you select the "Lonkey Island Unknown Variant" entry rather than "Adventure Game Studio Game" entry, then it does invalid prevent the game from starting up afterwards. I'm not quite sure why; I'll have to look into it further.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Something else I want to mention about that particular game. I currently just gets recognized as: Lonkey Island.
But if it is possible, I think it should be: The Tale of Lonkey Island.
That's what the title screen says and after all it is a parody of The Secret of Monkey Island.
I'll correct the detection list accordingly. Thanks.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Another thing to mention is that the default language is German. It has English and Italian translation files (at version 1.2 has Italian). But I don't know if that is something which can be be determined by the detection table.
This sounds like a bug in the ScummVM language selection option that was added (in the Engine tab). I've posted a bug report for it.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Some smaller mentions which I still have in mind:
When The Shaft was added, I noticed a type in the detection table. I'm not sure anymore, but it was something like thehsaft. Hopefully that helps.
Thanks
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am One of the King's Quests game is missing the ' and the full title compared to the other ones.
I'm not sure what you mean?
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am And I believe the detection for Leisure Suit Larry 2 Point and Click is mixed up. Firstly, I'm not sure if a normal Remake of that game exists. I've only seen the Point and Click version. But, again, the archive version simply gets recognized as a lsl2remake and IIRC the version from the website let's us choose between remake and point and click (or it adds both when using mass add) but selecting point and click will end in error.
I've updated the game Id accordingly
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Regarding Zak2. I understand that it is not supported because of some additional plugin. But the detection table also counts THE FAN GAME - ZAK MCKRACKEN : A MANSION, A METEOR AND THE ALIEN MINDBENDERS as unsupported. But I think those are different games. I have not played them, so I am not sure, but THE FAN GAME - ZAK MCKRACKEN : A MANSION, A METEOR AND THE ALIEN MINDBENDERS does not have the plugin in the download. It can be found here: https://danielespadoni82.blogspot.com/2 ... eteor.html
Thanks for pointing out the confusion. I've separated the entry out.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Speaking of The Fan Game. It seems one game is completely missing. https://danielespadoni82.blogspot.com/2 ... onies.html

That was it so far. And I apologize if this is not the best way to report such things, but I'm currently not prepared to use github or whatever else.
Added it in.
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

Thanks for the clarification about the games source and the updates.
dreammaster wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 am
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am Another thing to mention is that the default language is German. It has English and Italian translation files (at version 1.2 has Italian). But I don't know if that is something which can be be determined by the detection table.
This sounds like a bug in the ScummVM language selection option that was added (in the Engine tab). I've posted a bug report for it.
Sorry, English is not my first language. And therefore I am not quite sure if I have described this case wrong or if Im misunderstanding the bug report or if the ScummVM language selection is supposed to do something different.

To clarify it once more. Lonkey Island is by default a german game, so it should be detected as (German) am I right? I'm not considering the translation files in that case. Another example with translation files is would be something like Maniac Mansion Deluxe. It's base language is english and it gets detected as English. In both cases, the language can be changed on the Engine tab.

My understanding of the bug report is, that if any game (not particularly just ags games) should select the language it detects. Which, in this case seems wrong. I'm not sure about the actual functionality of the whole ags translation file mechanism, but I think they are kinda optional and often provided by different people then the actual game author. So it would be more of an error when the game gets detected as english but for some reason it can't find an english language file.
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am One of the King's Quests game is missing the ' and the full title compared to the other ones.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Here are the King' s Quest entries:

/ AGDI games. They get their own grouping because they're just that awesome
	{ "kq1agdi", "King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown Remake" },
	{ "kq2agdi", "King's Quest II: Romancing The Stones" },
	{ "kq3agdi", "King's Quest III: To Heir is Human" }, 
// Infamous Adventures games. Likewise
	{ "kq3redux", "King's Quest III Redux" },
And further down is an Kings Quest entry:

{ "kingsquest3", "Kings Quest III" },
As you can see, the titles are not coherent. Shouldn't all of the AGDI titles have the Remake addition, the Infamous title be King's Quest III: To Heir is Human Redux and the other entry be at least King's Quest III? It's probably not that important but I somehow triggers me and is something I would manually rename if it won't be changed. :)

Actually, now that I think about this. I believe there is another mix up here between the three kq3 entries. But I can't remember what it was. I think the AGDI version gets detected as Redux or the other way around. I might have to re-download the files to double check.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

dreammaster wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 amYes, the bulk of the detection list does come from the agsarchive torrent. To aid in setting up the detection list, I created a "game scanner" within the engine as a special mode. It scans through a given folder and all subdirectories, and builds up a list of any unknown AGS games. It also extracts their game title from within the game itself, which is why some game names in the list are off from what's expected. The author's haven't always been pedantic about updating their names before release. So building the list based on the torrent was easier than downloading games from the website one at a time.
OK, that's good to know.
I have noticed a couple of things in the detection table that had me confused, but now I have a better understanding on how those where named.
I can try to report these out when I encounter them, the one about "Prof. Neely" I already did report in this thread, as it seemed a bit off.

EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:54 amSorry, English is not my first language. And therefore I am not quite sure if I have described this case wrong or if Im misunderstanding the bug report or if the ScummVM language selection is supposed to do something different.

To clarify it once more. Lonkey Island is by default a german game, so it should be detected as (German) am I right? I'm not considering the translation files in that case. Another example with translation files is would be something like Maniac Mansion Deluxe. It's base language is english and it gets detected as English. In both cases, the language can be changed on the Engine tab.

My understanding of the bug report is, that if any game (not particularly just ags games) should select the language it detects. Which, in this case seems wrong. I'm not sure about the actual functionality of the whole ags translation file mechanism, but I think they are kinda optional and often provided by different people then the actual game author. So it would be more of an error when the game gets detected as english but for some reason it can't find an english language file.
I kind of touched on this earlier in this thread when that Italian language game defaults to Italian even though my GUI language is English.

Games being detected and having some default language is another, even though related issue. If a game that is in German is being listed as an English language game, it's wrong. But if a game with German default language that also has an English language option is detected, should it be German or English then? Both are right, depending on your point of view.

When I suggested ScummVM defaulting to GUI language when available I thought it was a way to make things easier, but based on your example, it would also make it more logical if the game is detected as an English language game and the game language is automatically selected as English for those who have ScummVM running in English.
Obviously it would work for other language too, if there is a way to detect different language options/files.

Of course there will be always cases where the language will be wrong, because there's no systematic method (that I'm aware of) for all the developers to handle many languages in one game. Some have them as in-game options, some have them as additional downloads, some create different builds for different languages, most are one language only.

EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 amThat was it so far. And I apologize if this is not the best way to report such things, but I'm currently not prepared to use github or whatever else.
I hear you!
The process of doing that is very complicated, and even illogical to some extent.

For instance, in this thread the OP wants bugs to be reported ("please submit the bug reports to our issue tracker"), but following that link and instructions that follow show the following statement: "Please only file bugs on games that are listed on ​https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/."

And AGS games not being listed there, a random bug reporter is left wondering which instruction to follow. To report or not to report? :roll:

Having said that, I reported all bugs and glitches that I have found so far and mentioned in this thread and which are still valid to prevent them from being lost in this thread.
I even reported a couple of new ones: Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Sound not being detected, and quitting the game not quitting the game.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Thanks for the bug reports! :)
AGS not appearing on the website compatibility page was an oversight that has now been fixed.

I did some changes for the language. Games are no longer detected as English, which should remove confusion when that is incorrect or when multiple languages are available. Furthermore the Language selection in the Game tab of the Edit Game dialog has now been removed for AGS games to avoid confusion with the Game Language selection from the Engine tab (only the latter has an effect). To take effect those changes require to remove and re-add the game, or start the game once and manually edit the description string to remove the language.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

I'm also thankful for all bug reports that have come in. Getting these resolved will make the engine that much better for the next official ScummVM release. Hopefully everyone will be patient, as the downside of the increased number of reports is that it'll be a while for us to work through all of them.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Am I doing something wrong when I remove the acsetup.cfg and winsetup.exe files? Does ScummVM need them?

I noticed the warning in the ScummVM console that acsetup.cfg is missing but I'm not sure if I need it.

I did try a russian demo game with added english translation and could change the language to english from the engine tab. Didn't need the acsetup.cfg and didn't need to change anything else.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The winsetup.exe is not needed. The acsetup.cfg file is used when present to get the default settings for the game (such as the default language for the game or the color depth to use). In most cases the game will work properly if you remove it, but this is not guaranteed. So I would recommend keeping that file (and it is very small anyway).
Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

Just a note that Unavowed from GOG starts up and the beginning runs fine too.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

criezy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:15 pm The winsetup.exe is not needed. The acsetup.cfg file is used when present to get the default settings for the game (such as the default language for the game or the color depth to use). In most cases the game will work properly if you remove it, but this is not guaranteed. So I would recommend keeping that file (and it is very small anyway).
Thanks for your answer.

I would also like to know if it's possible to fix game bugs that also happen without the ScummVM engine?

If so I reported a bug with Space Quest - Vohaul Strikes Back. If not I added a way to get around this bug.
Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

Shivah from GOG also starts and the beginning seems to work.

That's all of the recognised commercial AGS games I have that I know of. One unknown one was submitted to the bug tracker.
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am An example would be The Tale of Lonkey Island (short: lonkey.exe). It seems that the version from the archive is an older one. Sorry, I tried to figure out which version exactly but I wasn't able to find that information. The currently available version on the ags website is 1.2.https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... ey-island/

Which is recognized as:

The game in 'lonkey' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: lonkeyisland

{"lonkey.exe", 0, "4e92c6db88a34b62eef37a621aabfb53", 44114957},

But even after adding it anyway, no game files can be found.
I did a bit of an experimentation, and realized that since the website version doesn't have a known detection, if you select the "Lonkey Island Unknown Variant" entry rather than "Adventure Game Studio Game" entry, then it does invalid prevent the game from starting up afterwards. I'm not quite sure why; I'll have to look into it further.
Interesting. I thought I tried using the fallback option to see what happens. Apparently not, since I'm currently playing version 1.2.
Speaking of fallback option. I don't know if if the following is just an ags or android problem.
I've updated to a newer daily build and readded some of my games. Lonkey Island was one of them, but since it currently uses the ags-fallback id, I wanted to change it to ags-fallback-2 to make use of my save files. But scummvm crashes when I hit OK. Is there a way to get logs on android or something else to provide more information?
EctoOne wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 am And I believe the detection for Leisure Suit Larry 2 Point and Click is mixed up. Firstly, I'm not sure if a normal Remake of that game exists. I've only seen the Point and Click version. But, again, the archive version simply gets recognized as a lsl2remake and IIRC the version from the website let's us choose between remake and point and click (or it adds both when using mass add) but selecting point and click will end in error.
I've updated the game Id accordingly
I have updated to one of recent daily builds and there still might be an issue. I currently only have access to the version from the website which is named Final Version and not to the version from the old archive.

The version from the website contains the file: Larry 2 Point and Click.exe and a folder called files. And that folder contains the Larry 2.exe.

Both file's are recognized somewhat correctly now. But using the actual Point and Click.exe doesn't work. No game file's found. I sadly can not test what the purpose of the point and click.exe actually is. I'm just confused by the folder structure. I tried moving the point and click.exe into the subfolder but I still got the error.

When using the Larry 2.exe the game starts fine and has point and click capabilities. But the ID is just leisuresuitlarry2 and the name is Leisure Suit Larry 2.

My assumption is the point and click.exe is some sort of launcher for the larry 2.exe. It is kinda small with like 3mb compared to 11mb.

I wish I could help more, but I don't have a pc around at the moment.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

EctoOne wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:04 am My assumption is the point and click.exe is some sort of launcher for the larry 2.exe. It is kinda small with like 3mb compared to 11mb.
I double-checked and you're right. We already had a proper detection entry for larry 2.exe, so the unsupported detection entry for the "larry 2 point and click.exe' was incorrect, and has been removed.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

EctoOne wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:04 amThe version from the website contains the file: Larry 2 Point and Click.exe and a folder called files. And that folder contains the Larry 2.exe.

Both file's are recognized somewhat correctly now. But using the actual Point and Click.exe doesn't work. No game file's found. I sadly can not test what the purpose of the point and click.exe actually is. I'm just confused by the folder structure. I tried moving the point and click.exe into the subfolder but I still got the error.

When using the Larry 2.exe the game starts fine and has point and click capabilities. But the ID is just leisuresuitlarry2 and the name is Leisure Suit Larry 2.

My assumption is the point and click.exe is some sort of launcher for the larry 2.exe. It is kinda small with like 3mb compared to 11mb.

I wish I could help more, but I don't have a pc around at the moment.
It's a launcher file that is technically speaking unnecessary, as you can launch and setup the game from the files folder.

The only usable thing is the manual option really, and that has few pages of text within the launcher that tell about Larry and how to play the game.
Attachments
Larry2 launcher 200px.png
Larry2 launcher 200px.png (90.82 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Larry2 manual 200px.png
Larry2 manual 200px.png (95.39 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kirtai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm Shivah from GOG also starts and the beginning seems to work.

That's all of the recognised commercial AGS games I have that I know of. One unknown one was submitted to the bug tracker.
I tried playing Unavowed with the open-source version of AGS when it was first released, and while it seemed to work fine at first I vaguely remember running into a game-breaking glitch not very far in, forcing me to use the interpreter it was bundled with instead. Unfortunately I've forgotten the details (it was something about turning into a shadow, and then not being able to interact with things...? maybe...?), but I do remember it was quite obvious when it did happen.

So it may be that this game needs some further testing to say for sure whether it works in ScummVM?
Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:56 am So it may be that this game needs some further testing to say for sure whether it works in ScummVM?
Oh yes indeed, a lot more testing is needed for all of them.

I was just running a check for any immediate problems on games that the devs are less likely to have, i.e. commercial ones, including one that wasn't in the detection tables. Nothing more.

And I did find one crash bug so it worked :)