Google Summer of Code 2021: On

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Google Summer of Code 2021: On

Post by sev »

We are thrilled to announce that the ScummVM project was once again accepted for Google Summer of Code. This is always an exciting part of the year for us and this year is no different. For 2021 the GSoC program has been revamped by Google to be focused on smaller tasks and eligibility criteria for the students were relaxed.

With this in mind, our team has several exciting ideas for prospective applicants to explore, all of which can be found on our ideas page. Please review the information we expect in your application before submitting it.

You can learn more about the GSoC program and the tasks our cohorts contributed to in previous years in our Google Summer of Code miniportal.

So join us in our Discord server and follow the #scummvm-gsoc channel where you can engage with our mentors and the rest of the team.

We are all excited to be part of this program, and to see your applications!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Google Summer of Code 2021: On

Post by Raziel »

Great to see new devs join the cause, even if it is just for the summer.

While on the topic, i'd like to ask if this would be the right place to throw out an idea for GSOC.

I don't know if it would be too much work, though, keep that in mind, but i'd love to see the GUI, especially the theme section, become easier to change (and ultimately easier to create new themes).
Right now it's one big .xml file where no real documentation exists and even if i were to start i'd have to have the documentation right beside the editor i'm workin with, because it's overwhelming for a complete noob.

Obviously to keep it portable a GUI for theme creation would be out of the question.

Maybe this could be an idea for next years GSOC?

Thank you
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We still have quite extensive documentation since 2006. Did you see these: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... emes/Specs and https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... STX_Syntax

Eugene
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Of course i haven't...sigh, just ignore me :-/