Native menu on macOS

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Blondebeard

Native menu on macOS

Post by Blondebeard »

I am running ScummVM (latest development build) on my MacBook Pro M1 and all is running smoothly. So far I tried The Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island and both work well.

I want to ask you on how can I get into the native menu of the The Curse of Monkey Island. In the documentation I see a reference to ALT + F5 which I assume is for Windows. However, I don’t see any way to do it on Mac. Is there shortcut I am missing or do I need any specific version? I already tried all combinations with the F5 key in Mac and none work as they always bring up the ScummVM menu.

Thanks!
Last edited by Blondebeard on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Native menu on Mac OX

Post by Raziel »

Alt-F5 is the way SCUMM based games brought up their in-game menu (if there was one).

For CoMI the devs may have completely disabled it for vaious reasons (crashes probably, or the fact that it doesn't really add anything apart from loading/saving, which can be done in the ScummVM menu as well)
Blondebeard

Re: Native menu on macOS

Post by Blondebeard »

Thanks! The reason I am asking is to make a recording of the “enable 3D” option easter egg, but It doesn’t seem like I have a way to get to that menu. As far as I know there is no way to run it natively unless I got an old Windows (Which I don’t). DosBox is also not an option as CoMI was already for Window 95. Any suggestions?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Blondebeard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:12 pm I want to ask how I can get into the native menu of the The Curse of Monkey Island. In the documentation I see a reference to ALT + F5 which I assume is for Windows.
The shortcut is the same on all platforms, so it is ALT + F5 on macs as well.
However there is a bug in ScummVM 2.2.0 and it doesn't work. See https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11504
So you will need to use the older ScummVM 2.1.2 to get this to work.
Blondebeard

Post by Blondebeard »

Thanks! I tried with 2.1.2 and with 2.0.0 on The Curse of Monkey island and The Secret of Monkey Island a none works. With 2.2.3 (latest development version) option + F5 opens the ScummVM menu and with 2.1.2 and 2.0.0 nothing happens. Maybe that bug report only refers to Indy 3?
Last edited by Blondebeard on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

No, I tried to access the original menu in the Curse of Monkey Island with Alt+F5 in ScummVM 2.1.2 on my Mac yesterday, and it worked.
Blondebeard

Post by Blondebeard »

Let me try again. Maybe it is a problem with the fn key + F5.

Update: Nope, still the same problem on my MacBook Air. I changed the function keys to not require the Fn key and the same problem remains. I have parallels installed so I will give it a try with Windows 10 as well.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I have just tried on my Macbook Air (yesterday I tried it on an iMac), and it works as well with Fn+Alt+F5.
Something I noticed thought is that on the Macbook Air, the Alt key is named "option" (on the iMac keyboard it has both 'alt' and 'option' written on it). It also has two option keys (one on the left between the control and command keys, and one on the right next to the arrow keys), but both work.
Blondebeard

Post by Blondebeard »

Thanks for the tip! I finally got 2.1.2 to work on Windows 10 (Arm) via Parallels on my Macbook Air M1 :D
Blondebeard

Post by Blondebeard »

criezy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:28 pm I have just tried on my Macbook Air (yesterday I tried it on an iMac), and it works as well with Fn+Alt+F5.
Something I noticed thought is that on the Macbook Air, the Alt key is named "option" (on the iMac keyboard it has both 'alt' and 'option' written on it). It also has two option keys (one on the left between the control and command keys, and one on the right next to the arrow keys), but both work.
For me none worked. I tried both options keys (left and right) and it never opened. Works fine with Windows 10 using Fn + OPTION + F5.
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

This is still broken for me when using the following build:
ScummVM 2.6.0git5128-g84e761aef8c (Apr 16 2022 06:36:27).

What's the best way to follow up on those bug reports #11504 & the related #12410? The last update on both of them was a year ago.