Theme Creation

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sl23

Theme Creation

Post by sl23 »

Hi, I've tried to create a new theme. I've checked all the links and resources and decided to start by editing an existing one.

I copied the scummthemeremastered from the RetroArch folder, which is the latest version I believe. It is for ScummVM v2.1.1.

After extracting this folder, I made some edits to the *.stx files as a start and renamed the theme and author within the THEMERC file. Then I zipped the files to a new name.
Trouble is, ScummVM doesn't see any theme.zip files. as they do not appear in the list in Options. I have selected the folder in the Paths tab for Theme, but still get no extra options for selecting my own theme.

Can you help please...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Theme Creation

Post by sev »

We have little idea what RetroArch folks did in their fork, maybe they killed some functionality.

But in general, there is THEMERC file which contains the theme name. ScummVM scans themepath directory at the launch and this is how that menu is populated.

Eugene
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks but I am actually trying to get theme to work in the standalone version of scummvm!
Even after several restarts, the theme file still doesn't show!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Are you trying with ScummVM 2.1.1?
The theme file changes regularly, and trying to use a theme from version 2.1.1 with ScummVM 2.2.0 will not work for example (this is detected with the version of the theme in the THEMERC file).

You could try checking if there is an error or warning in the ScummVM log file, or when starting ScummVM from a command line. See https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... or-message for information on where to find the log file or how to start ScummVM from the command line.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yes I believe so. The version of ScummVM used in RetroArch is v2.1.1. It has a theme file (scummthemeremastered.zip) which I copied into the standalone version of ScummVM v2.2.0.

This is where I'm trying to get it to work.
I have even tried to use my theme within the RetroArch version of ScummVM, but that doesn't show up when browsing through options/theme either.
So it seems there maybe a fault or block when searching for external themes?

Is theming not an option then if it changes on a regular basis?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sl23 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am Yes I believe so. The version of ScummVM used in RetroArch is v2.1.1. It has a theme file (scummthemeremastered.zip) which I copied into the standalone version of ScummVM v2.2.0.
This is exactly the problem. Themes from 2.1.1 are not compatible with 2.2.0. What prevents you from taking the theme from 2.2.0 and hack it?

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

sl23 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am Is theming not an option then if it changes on a regular basis?
Keeping a custom theme up to date for new ScummVM versions can indeed be a bit of a hassle.
sl23 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:36 pm Then I zipped the files to a new name.
Note that while working on your theme and testing, you don't actually need to zip it again. Having the unzipped theme folder also works.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

sev wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am What prevents you from taking the theme from 2.2.0 and hack it?
That was my original plan, but it doesn't appear in the download package and from what I could summise from reading the forum and website, it is now built into ScummVM.
criezy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm Keeping a custom theme up to date for new ScummVM versions can indeed be a bit of a hassle.

Note that while working on your theme and testing, you don't actually need to zip it again. Having the unzipped theme folder also works.
Ah! perhaps I won't bother then! Why the constant changing of theme mechanics? Seems fine how it is?

Good to know about not zipping it. Thanks for the tip, in case I change my mind ;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sl23 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 pm
That was my original plan, but it doesn't appear in the download package and from what I could summise from reading the forum and website, it is now built into ScummVM.
ScummVM is an open source project. You can always download any component. 2.2.0 themes are here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... gui/themes there are both .zip and individual folders.
sl23 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 pmI won't bother then! Why the constant changing of theme mechanics? Seems fine how it is?
When new GUI elements are added, this is mostly the reason why we change the theme version, as the widget positions not present in older versions. Also, from time to time there are significant changes, like for 2.3.0git we have full Unicode support in the whole GUI.

The changes are often consist of adding certain elements which could be easily tracked in the repository. I provided the URL above.

Eugene
TK-949

Post by TK-949 »

I have worked on a theme for the past 8 days or so, and I have a few questions and comments regarding theme creation. Is it okay if I hijack this thread or should I create my own?

[EDIT] There will be images...