Custom Categories in ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Blakes7

Custom Categories in ScummVM

Post by Blakes7 »

So as the list of ScummVM games grows ever larger I find I have to do alot of scrolling sometimes to find the game I am after. I realise there is a search box, but I would like some categorisation to be possible to make things easier. I would suggest a categories list or buttons could go either beside the search box or to the left of the list of games. The sort of categories I would like to see are
-by developer (i.e. lucasarts, sierra etc)
-by genre (i.e. text adventure, 2d adventure, 3d adventure, rpg, other)

I'm not sure if this is considered optimal or desirable so I'm starting a topic to get feedback on the idea and to see what you all think.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Custom Categories in ScummVM

Post by Raziel »

Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

Thanks for linking to the old discussion. Is this still the current thinking? I could add a feature request but I would rather not waste people's time.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I think a Pull Request would be better suited.
It would not only flesh out your idea, but provide code changes that devs could look at, comment on and add to.

Also, forum posts/ideas tends to easily get forgotten unfortunately.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

Idea: Users add custom labels to the game, with a (label) dropdown on the gui can find the grouped games.
Example scummvm.ini:

Code: Select all

[shinestar-win]
label=wintermute unsupported adventure play

[kq3]
label=sierra adventure quest king play

[pq4-cd]
label=sierra adventure quest police play

[lba]
label=action adventure isometric noplay
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

Raziel wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 am I think a Pull Request would be better suited.
It would not only flesh out your idea, but provide code changes that devs could look at, comment on and add to.

Also, forum posts/ideas tends to easily get forgotten unfortunately.
I haven't added a pull request before so I'm not sure how to proceed when here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/compare

It is asking me for a branch and I'm not sure what is appropriate.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

If you add your changes or try to alter code it will normally write them to your personal fork of scummvm in a branch called patch-1 (if you do it from the github website).

If you choose that branch and then do a compare you should have the option to also add a Pull Request with your changes.

That then will show up in the PRs list where devs can look at it, give comments or help out.

But I guess it would be best if you'd join any of the channels, much more noise there ;-)
https://www.scummvm.org/contact/
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

To clarify, pull requests are for when you are making changes to the source code and would like to ask the ScummVM team for some feedback or to consider integrating them. If you want to create feature request and don't have time, motivation, or skills to work on it yourself, the place to do it is https://bugs.scummvm.org. There is no guarantee that anybody else will have time, motivation, and skills to work on it, but at least it will be tracked there.

For this particular feature, I would not be surprised if somebody already created a ticket on https://bugs.scummvm.org, so it's always a good idea to check that before creating a new one to avoid duplicates.