TLJ+HD mod - noticeable slowdown

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mr_kite

TLJ+HD mod - noticeable slowdown

Post by mr_kite »

Hi,
So I wanted to try out The Longest Journey HD mod on the latest ScummVM daily build, since it's been lately merged with ResidualVM and the latter won't be getting any more updates.

I added the game to ScummVM without problems, copied my saves (I already started playing in the ResidualVM) and the game run them without problems.
However, compared to the ResidualVM version available for download from HD mod page (0.4.0git), there is noticeable drop in framerate with mod assets loaded when running in ScummVM, especially in locations with scrolling background like Roma Gallery in first chapter. The walking animation especially is very choppy.

Is there any way to improve the performance on the latest ScummVM build? There's a little bit more settings available in ScummVM than there were in Residual and maybe I'm missing something that would make the game run smoother.

I tried capturing the difference between Residual and ScummVM (i think it's quite noticeable despite quality and size of gifs).
ResidualVM
ScummVM
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: TLJ+HD mod - noticeable slowdown

Post by criezy »

The daily builds are compiled without optimizations, so we would expect a drop in performance compared to official releases. There may be other factors that contribute to the drop in performance, but the first thing to try would be use a ScummVM build compiled with optimizations. There is no official ScummVM release with support for The Longest Journey yet however, so you will either have to wait for the next release, or compile ScummVM yourself (and not forget to turn optimizations on for the build).
mr_kite

Re: TLJ+HD mod - noticeable slowdown

Post by mr_kite »

Thanks, I'll try compiling it myself.
I read a little bit about it in the wiki and it looks like something I can manage :wink: