[Discworld Noir] What's with Lewton's walking animation?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arthandas

[Discworld Noir] What's with Lewton's walking animation?

Post by Arthandas »

Every few steps his model glitches out, everything else works fine so I have no idea what could be causing this.
Is it something on my end or is this bug normal on Win10?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: [Discworld Noir] What's with Lewton's walking animation?

Post by dreammaster »

Considering some work only just started on supporting Discworld Noir in ScummVM, and it won't even let you start the game yet, you're obviously playing with the original executable. in which case, all I can suggest is you fiddle around with the Windows compatibility options, and maybe you'll get lucky. In spite of that, I remember from back when I tried playing it in Windows 7 that even when I got it running, it was prone to frequent crashes. Which is one reason why a ScummVM implementation would be so welcome.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Most of the problems running DW Noir on modern platforms comes from issues running on multiple cpu cores. I modified the executable to only run on one cpu core back in the day, which seemed to resolve most problems.
appoloin

Post by appoloin »

Discworld Noir had problems long before we had multi cores.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

appoloin wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 am Discworld Noir had problems long before we had multi cores.
True, but unhelpful.

Ones best bet for playing the game right now would be a virtual Windows 95 installation, in for instance VMWare, regardless of original bugs in the engine.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Contrary to popular belief the game is super easy to run on Win10. It works out of the box if you have the original CD, no compatibility options needed. When you run it, it'll open in a small window with glitched out colors, press alt+enter and It'll go fullscreen and fix the colors. It's already 100% playable from here on out, the only issue is all main menu options other than "resume game" will crash the game so you need to load it via F1 menu.

There's a better option though - "compatibility fix by Loma" which also serves as a nocd patch. It fixes the colors (and main menu) and forces the game to run in stretched fullscreen mode which in turn can be exploited to enable integer scaling - simply set your desktop res to integer of 640x432, I play in 1280x864 for nice double scale. I'm in Act III and I'm yet to have a single crash. The only issue is the cursor which can go past the right and bottom screen edges, though you can just bring it back so it's not really a problem.

As for the walking animation, neither compatibility tabs nor setting the game to run on single core helps. I think this one can be fixed only by emulating win95/98.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

First - use the compatibility fix by loma or just don't bother trying to run it on anything but Win98 native. It simply is not worth the headache. The fix works perfect for me on Win10. The original fix is found here @ the bottom of the page in the comments section@ third comment (the second link in the third comment): https://www.payneful.co.uk/blogsplosion ... indows-10/. I link it that way, because I am not sure of the boards rules on direct links to certain sites.

Second - I have played this game off and on for a decade or more. On WinXP & Win10. I have not had the issue with the animation you are having. The animations in this game were never exactly smooth. But they are fine as long as the game is not glitching like you are having.

This is a gem of a game. A real lost work, imo. The game flow actually works vs the other Discworld games. I love them all, but the first one is a mess of confusion.