Official patches for Discworld 2?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arthandas

Official patches for Discworld 2?

Post by Arthandas »

I have the original CD version of Discworld II Missing Presumed, I've seen there are patches for Mortality Bytes!:
https://archive.org/details/dw2ptch3

Are there any official patches for Missing Presumed? Can I check the game version in Scumm?

One more thing, is it normal that both CD1 and CD2 are labeled as "DW2CD1_ENG"?
Eilhan

Re: Official patches for Discworld 2?

Post by Eilhan »

There were some official patches, yes. If you want, you can download the last one here: https://www.lspace.org/games/discworld/files.html.

Both my CDs also have that same name, btw, so I guess it's normal. As for the game version, I can't say for sure. The Wiki doesn't list any DW2 bugs fixed, so might be best to apply the patch, just in case.

Edit: After checking out the readme in the patch archive, it looks like the patch isn't needed at all.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Thanks for your answer, why do you think the patch isn't needed? It seems to fix important bug with disappearing characters.
How do I even use it? I just copied the required files from the CDs.

I guess I'd need to properly install the game, patch it and only then copy the required files to Scumm. I actually tried it but I can't run the installer. I can run the "AUTOPLAY.EXE" to display this window:
But nothing happens when I click "install".
Eilhan

Post by Eilhan »

The readme.txt file in the archive says the following:
The DOS version only requires the replacement of the main program file DWB.EXE. Simply copy DWB.EXE from this patch into the directory in which you installed Discworld II.
No mention of any data files being changed in the Win95 patch either, so probably just the EXE file and DLL files, which are not needed for the game to work in ScummVM.

Just copy the files manually, as specified here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... _....21.3F
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Eilhan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 pm EXE file and DLL files, which are not needed for the game to work in ScummVM
I know they are not needed, my question is: if the patch consists only of new .exe files (there are no dlls) and Scumm doesn't use them, how do you play the patched version in Scumm? Or does Scumm somehow already incorporate all the fixes found in patches 1-3?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Arthandas wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:18 pm I know they are not needed, my question is: if the patch consists only of new .exe files (there are no dlls) and Scumm doesn't use them, how do you play the patched version in Scumm? Or does Scumm somehow already incorporate all the fixes found in patches 1-3?
Likely. We were given access to the original source code of the games years later, so the likelihood would be that it had all the latest changes from the patches. Though it's hard to be definitive unless the patches list exactly what was fixed, and someone volunteers to test it under ScummVM. Additionally, the ScummVM implementation also has several other script patches based on issues reported by users over time.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

dreammaster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 pm Likely.
Interesting, well I have no more questions then, thanks :)