Feature Request: Exiting game goes to Scummvm menu

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Feature Request: Exiting game goes to Scummvm menu

Post by Raziel »

Yes, fixed, all games now return to launcher

:-(
Still got the assertion on LA titles though
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

Found the commit that started the assertion for me: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12012

@all

Sorry for hijacking the thread
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

So far so good on the daily build! I tested about a dozen games from different engines. All returned to the scummvm menu on exit.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Is it just me or does the save/load launcher dialog prevent exiting to launcher?

I use an sdl backend and window mode.
Load in any game, press ctrl+f5 to bring up the launcher, click on load and then try to close the window.

Nothing happens, unless I cancel the load dialog, then it immediately throws me back to the launcher.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

I'm not sure if its just me but when I switch some sierra games graphics mode from opengl to something else, when I exit the game it crashes instead of going back to scummvm.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Blakes7 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:39 am I'm not sure if its just me but when I switch some sierra games graphics mode from opengl to something else, when I exit the game it crashes instead of going back to scummvm.
I tested that today and it seems to work properly for me.
Can you clarify what you did? Also on what system do you use ScummVM?
The way I understood it is that you have OpenGL selected in the global options, and you override it with something else in the settings for your SCI game? That would cause OpenGL to be used for the ScummVM launcher, and something else to be used for the game, so returning to the launcher would have to switch graphics mode. This works for me on macOS, but I would not be overly surprised if this indeed crashed on some other platforms.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Raziel wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 pm Is it just me or does the save/load launcher dialog prevent exiting to launcher?
You are right, and I fixed it today.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

criezy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 pm
Blakes7 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:39 am I'm not sure if its just me but when I switch some sierra games graphics mode from opengl to something else, when I exit the game it crashes instead of going back to scummvm.
I tested that today and it seems to work properly for me.
Can you clarify what you did? Also on what system do you use ScummVM?
The way I understood it is that you have OpenGL selected in the global options, and you override it with something else in the settings for your SCI game? That would cause OpenGL to be used for the ScummVM launcher, and something else to be used for the game, so returning to the launcher would have to switch graphics mode. This works for me on macOS, but I would not be overly surprised if this indeed crashed on some other platforms.
I am using Windows 7 64 bit. In my global options I have opengl selected and when Iselect a different graphics mode for a game the game crashes when I try to exit it instead of returning to launcher. When I don't have opengl selected globally the game does not crash so it seems this is causing the crash as you suggested.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

Thanks for the fix, i did find another one quite similar.

If one of Sierra's games, with after-market GM patches (like Leisure Suit Larry 1 SCI), do NOT have the patch installed, the in-app notification window about the missing patch will show.
Once it's up, ScummVM refuses to return to the launcher when in window mode, unless i close that notification window beforehand (or i will be thrown immediately back to the launcher, if i tried to return to it earlier with the window still showing (just like the Load/Save dialog window).

@Blakes7

I cannot confirm this crash on my BE platform.
Did you try a specific game?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Raziel wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 amThanks for the fix, i did find another one quite similar.

If one of Sierra's games, with after-market GM patches (like Leisure Suit Larry 1 SCI), do NOT have the patch installed, the in-app notification window about the missing patch will show.
Once it's up, ScummVM refuses to return to the launcher when in window mode, unless i close that notification window beforehand (or i will be thrown immediately back to the launcher, if i tried to return to it earlier with the window still showing (just like the Load/Save dialog window).
Did you see that after my fix, or was it before? The fix I did is generic and should cover all the dialogs and not just the save and load dialogs.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@criezy

Whoopsie, yes, now that you mention it :-(
Sorry, just building from sources, so nevermind ;-)

Edit:
Fixed as well
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

Raziel wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 am @criezy

Thanks for the fix, i did find another one quite similar.

@Blakes7

I cannot confirm this crash on my BE platform.
Did you try a specific game?
I tried space quest 4 and space quest 3. Kings quest 4 worked fine as did Ultima 6, all for dos.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I did some more tests today, and I can indeed get Space Quest 4 to crash when returning to the launcher, but only if I also toggle on the "Use RGB rendering" option in the Engine tab of the game settings. Do you have this option turned on by any change?

If you have the time it would be good to create a bug report on https://bugs.scummvm.org so that this issue doesn't get lost.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

criezy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:40 pm I did some more tests today, and I can indeed get Space Quest 4 to crash when returning to the launcher, but only if I also toggle on the "Use RGB rendering" option in the Engine tab of the game settings. Do you have this option turned on by any change?

If you have the time it would be good to create a bug report on https://bugs.scummvm.org so that this issue doesn't get lost.
I do have RGB rendering on for those games. Bug report below.
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12079#ticket
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Blakes7
@criezy

I updated the bug report, i get an assertion that will maybe help the cause?