Call for testing: ScummVM AppImage

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Call for testing: ScummVM AppImage

Post by rootfather »

Hi folks,

I'm currently working on publishing ScummVM as an AppImage bundle file. So far, I made quite some progress - all I need is some testing on various platforms. The AppImage is built with Debian 9 as the base system and should be complatible with Ubuntu 16.04 or other distros from that era. Additionally, newer distros shouldn't be a problem either. Currently, support is limited to AMD64, but i386 will follow eventually.

So far, I tested the basic functionality on Ubuntu 16.04 and 20.10, Debian 9 and a current Manjaro installation, so I'm especially interested in reports from 'obscure' or ancient Linux distros, but of course, feedback from 'standard' distros is also very welcome.

If you're interested in providing some feedback, please grab the current version from https://storage.scummvm.org/index.php/s ... R/download - thanks! :)
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Call for testing: ScummVM AppImage

Post by rootfather »

This file is most likely even more interesting - it's an AppImage built from the current master branch. Largely untested, so feedback is welcome, especially regarding the 3D engines formerly known as ResidualVM.
comrad

Post by comrad »

Hi,

I am happy to test your AppImage. I like the format better than centralized snaps or flatpaks. Anyway it works fine on my openSUSE Leap 15.2 AMD64 machine.

https://imgur.com/a/yFTwVNf

Happy to test it further or test newer releases. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Bernd
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Thank you very much for testing and confirming it's working! I'm currently working on refining my builds while working on the Raspberry Pi AppImages, so I expect we'll see an official x86_64 release soon(tm).
negator2vc

Post by negator2vc »

Hi,
Excellent work on the appimage (my favorite way of delivering linux apps)
Thank you very much!
I have tested the appimage (works perfectly) on
Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 20.2
Games used for testing:
Quest for Glory 1 EGA, 4
Conquest of Longbow
Eye of the Beholder 1, 2

Any chance of this appimage become fully official so we can also get this for the latest ScummVM version?

The appimage also works fine with firejail !
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

negator2vc wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:42 am Hi,
Excellent work on the appimage (my favorite way of delivering linux apps)
Thank you very much!
I have tested the appimage (works perfectly) on
Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 20.2
Games used for testing:
Quest for Glory 1 EGA, 4
Conquest of Longbow
Eye of the Beholder 1, 2
Thanks a lot for your feedback, greatly appreciated!
negator2vc wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:42 am Any chance of this appimage become fully official so we can also get this for the latest ScummVM version?
I'll continue building AppImages for the Raspberry Pi 4/400 running the official Raspberry Pi OS. Providing AppImages supporting a wider variety of Linux distributions is currently not planned from my end. The Raspberry Pi AppImage for 2.5.0 is currently in the testing period, I hope to get it done by the end of this week.