LibRetro Shaders

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ferro4prez

LibRetro Shaders

Post by ferro4prez »

Hey all, searched through the forums for any info on ScummVM builds that include LibRetro Shader support.

All the forks I found were super outdated, and I was unable to even get the shader going after spending a huge amount of time on it.

Is this in the works at all? Anyone more recently taking a stab at this? The built-in shaders look silly in comparison to the mature and unbelievable efforts people have gone to making modern shaders.

Thanks!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: LibRetro Shaders

Post by criezy »

This is something that would be really nice to have, and several efforts have been started in the past. But sadly nobody has opened a pull request with a working solution yet. The most recent effort I am aware of is the one being discussed in this forum thread.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

A half-baked solution could be found in LordHoto's repo.

Eugene
ferro4prez

Post by ferro4prez »

Thanks all, figured there wasn't anything fully fleshed out yet :(

Using RetroArch with the ScummVM core wooorks, it's just SUCH a pain dealing with the insanely overbearing interface and the hotkey hijacking (ESC, etc). ScummVM is just so perfect in every other way, feels like the only thing lacking is the shader support.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

I also thing that RetroArch shaders are what Scummvm is missing right now: games look SOOOO authentic with scanlines+curvature shaders... Really needed for Apple II and Amiga games, for example, so the games look as intended back in the day.

Why not just merge LordHoto's solution into the main code? Is it so half-baked?