Grim Fandango Remastered Upscale Viability

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

theraineydaze

Grim Fandango Remastered Upscale Viability

Post by theraineydaze »

Hello everyone!

I've been toying with the idea of upscaling the 2D backgrounds for Grim Fandango and the results are looking pretty good so far for a first pass and I'd like to do this for the whole game if possible.

https://slow.pics/c/85syBe5B

However this was all done with normal screenshots and removing Manny in Photoshop. I figured if this was going to be a full mod for the game I should determine if these could be added back into the game itself and if there's a way to get the 2D backgrounds dumped from the game files so there are no 3D models covering any of the background. I've been playing around with GrimEdit to see if I could do this but I haven't had any luck so far.

If anyone could help me rip the 2D backgrounds and put the upscaled images back into the game I would be extremely grateful. As of now this is just conceptual but if it's possible to inject these upscales into the game I'd also like to do upscales of all the videos that play over the backgrounds in certain areas, which I have found in GrimEdit (but for some reason the movement in them is a mess of pixels.

Either way I do hope this is possible.

Any help would be greatly apricated!
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Re: Grim Fandango Remastered Upscale Viability

Post by aquadran »

Hi, This is great idea.
You can extract bitmaps using residualvm tools. However they need to be builded from sources located in our repository.
There is 'unlab' tool. It extract all files from lab archive.
There is conversion tool which convert bitmaps to bmp format: bm2bmp.
If you need help with that, join our Discord server.

About using upscales in game, it's another topic. Unfortunately it's not ready :(