TLJ: Random text is replaced by ellipses

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ThanosMoist

TLJ: Random text is replaced by ellipses

Post by ThanosMoist »

Hey guys,
Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find anything with the search function.
I tried running The Longest Journey with ResidualVM on Windows 10, but I noticed that random text is replaced by three dots "...".
Does anyone else have this issue or know a fix?
chrisis

Re: TLJ: Random text is replaced by ellipses

Post by chrisis »

This seems to be a merged post from ResidualVM, however I had the same problem with the last few builds of ResidualVM both on Windows and Linux on different machines, so it seems to be a general bug.
I just compiled ScummVM (the current git version) on Linux with the merged stark engine, and still have the same problem - random characters show as three dots (...) also it's happening with and without the HD mod so the mod is not the problem.
It used to be fine on older builds of ResidualVM so this seems to be a relatively recently introduced bug (I don't know exactly when the bug first showed up)

Some screenshots are here:
https://imgur.com/a/yQ729G1

This happens both in the menu, in game in the diary etc, basically everywhere where text is show in the game.

If someone could direct me on how to properly report a bug I'll gladly do that too!
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

It think it's not in general bug. text is wrapped (added 3 dots) as it not fit in some defined space.
I'll try take a look, but no idea when. maybe someone else will check it.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

I did make a bug report for it here https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11767 and it seems someone already created a proposed fix:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/2530

I can confirm this fixes the problem, obviously I don't know if it introduces any problems in other games as it's not STARK engine specific
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

It's fixed now
edsi

Post by edsi »

Hi,

I have the same issue using ResidualVM 0.4.0git1201. The game and also HD Mod working very fine.
But the dots are really annoying.

I feel like a complete IT noob but I have no clue what you are talking about :D
Also, I dont understand the fix on github.

Please, can someone easily explain what I have to do exactly to get rid of the dots in the text?

PS: Do I have to restart the game?

Thank you very much :)
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

ResidualVM is not developed anymore as it's been merged with ScummVM - so this bug will stay in ResidualVM as it was introduced before the merger.

Just download a recent daily build of ScummVM from https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ (it supports the HD mod too) as this bug has been fixed now.
Also if you have save games from ResidualVM they should work fine so no need to restart the game :)
edsi

Post by edsi »

Thank you very much!

Actually, I tried this before, but I downloaded latest stable build following the link "Download the official daily builds.".
But with that version, I could not add the game at all.
Now I tried it with the latest development build and it seems to work well. Also, I could use my savegame.

Thanks again
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

edsi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm but I downloaded latest stable build following the link "Download the official daily builds.".
But with that version, I could not add the game at all.
That is fully expected. Stable build is based on 2.2.x branch. What you need is "latest development build" which is 2.3.0git.

Eugene