Escape From Monkey Island released on GoG

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jon God

Escape From Monkey Island released on GoG

Post by Jon God »

https://www.gog.com/game/escape_from_monkey_island

Just saw this. Is it using a fork ResidualVM to run on modern systems? Anyone want to buy it and see how it runs? I am on a Mac, so I'd have to run it through WINE or something else anyways.
Nitrus

Re: Escape From Monkey Island released on GoG

Post by Nitrus »

I just bought and ran it (on Windows 10 x64), it ran fine.

It's not using ResidualVM, though it could be using a patched executable.
bgbennyboy had released a launcher that would do that.
I have the original data that I could compare an MD5/diff against, though I can't find them at the moment. Might do later this week.

EDIT: The IMT files are merged rather than both of them copied like it's described here: http://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php/Da ... key_Island
...so to me it does indeed look like the launcher/installer from above was used. Or at least something along those lines.
I believe that would prevent ResidualVM from running it properly with GOG's data files, for now.

Also, is it me or did something with the license happen? COMI got GOG support just a few months back as well, as well as some SW titles.
Maybe the Mouse is more lenient with licensing for old stuff like this. Someone tell Ron Gilbert and get the ball running on Monkey 3a again :)
Maselli

Post by Maselli »

I somehow missed this even though I check out GOG very often. I'm going to get it for sure! Jon, I'm sure you can get your money back if you buy the game and it doesn't run on your machine. I think that's one of GOG's policies.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

@Maselli if you want to play it with ResidualVM, you'll need to get the update and put it in your folder according to the dataffiles instructions, and follow the suggestion regarding the IMT files here.
123iamking

Post by 123iamking »

Nitrus wrote:@Maselli if you want to play it with ResidualVM,
and follow the suggestion regarding the IMT files here.
pardon for stupid question, but why people need ResidualVM for GoG version? Doesn't GoG version run perfectly fine by itself and not required insert disk?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

123iamking wrote: pardon for stupid question, but why people need ResidualVM for GoG version? Doesn't GoG version run perfectly fine by itself and not required insert disk?
One good reason could be if you're not using Windows.