About the TinyGL

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

leilei

About the TinyGL

Post by leilei »

I haven't looked into the TinyGL yet and i'm curious about what has changed in it.

Is it faster than the old TinyGL and the TinySDGL fork out there?

Is it feasible to adapt into 8bpp with a mess of lookup tables without a big loss of speed?

Does it support fog and more blending functions?

Is it easily adaptable to something like an ioq3 fork? (GLSL shaders aren't a concern, and I've already prepared most of the renderer for an additive/subtract->alpha conversion path for PowerVR PCX2 that could adapt to deficiencies in TinyGL)

Sorry if these questions aren't strictly ResidualVM related. I don't even own any games for it :P
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Re: About the TinyGL

Post by somaen »

A general list of our changes to TinyGL is available here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/resid ... /Changelog

As for speed, I'm not really sure, we have tuned it a bit last summer, but in practice it's not really fast.

Not really sure about the CLUT-8bit thing you're talking about either, could you perhaps tell us what you want it for?

I think we added something to the blending capabilities (IIRC it only supported 1 bit alpha originally), but it won't be fast.

For a quake-fork you're probably better of using whatever exisiting trickery was added by id in the original software renderer they had,
we're not getting the best of results out of TinyGL as it is, and we're not really rendering that many polygons at all. (Feel free to download i.e. the Escape
From Monkey Island demo to see what we're talking about, that has way more polygons than Grim Fandango, and is playable, but also 2.5D whereas
Quake would be full 3D.)