ResidualVM 0.3.0 problems

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

Re: ResidualVM 0.3.0 problems

Post by somaen »

salvatore28 wrote:
somaen wrote:Does the check happen if you skip D-Fend Reloaded, and use the built-in launcher for two subsequent launches?

In practice, the check will write a flag to residualvm.ini, depending on how D-Fend performs the launch, this might not happen.
I cannot make this test because I have copied only the data files from the original CD's. I haven't copied the executables.
I meant to use ResidualVM directly, instead of using D-Fend to launch it. I guess that D-Fend might be doing something weird that blocks the ini-file creation.
salvatore28

Post by salvatore28 »

somaen wrote:I meant to use ResidualVM directly, instead of using D-Fend to launch it. I guess that D-Fend might be doing something weird that blocks the ini-file creation.
effectively launching ResidualVM directly makes the check only once.

I have tried to change the command line in D-Fend Reloaded to:

Executable:
G:\RESIDU~1\ResidualVM.exe

Command line parameters:
--config="G:\RESIDU~1\residualvm.ini" --path="G:\Vecchi giochi\LucasArts\Grim Fandango" --fullscreen --savepath="G:\Vecchi giochi\LucasArts\Grim Fandango\SAVES" grim

So I have added the "--config" parameter telling to write the .ini file in the same folder where ResidualVM.exe resides, but it doesn't help. The .ini file is written correctly in this folder (it contains only ResidualVM version section), but it doesn't contain the game section, so this is why the check is performed at every launch. It seems that ResidualVM won't write the game data when they are supplied on the command line, but it could be caused by other factors and not by ResidualVM itself.

Anyway, I can survive with this check :-)

Sal
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Well, one solution might be to let ResidualVM do the configuration:

* Start up ResidualVM directly, possibly with the --config flag to select the directory to save to.
* Add the game to ResidualVM, start it, and close it.
* Now reconfigure D-Fend so it doesn't select the PATH directly, but instead the game target (as listed in the now created residualvm.ini)

That way you'll have your game target, and still be able to override other settings from D-Fend if you so wish.

As a side note we might consider adding a --no-check flag some day when we get around to it.
salvatore28

Post by salvatore28 »

somaen wrote:Well, one solution might be to let ResidualVM do the configuration:

* Start up ResidualVM directly, possibly with the --config flag to select the directory to save to.
* Add the game to ResidualVM, start it, and close it.
* Now reconfigure D-Fend so it doesn't select the PATH directly, but instead the game target (as listed in the now created residualvm.ini)

That way you'll have your game target, and still be able to override other settings from D-Fend if you so wish.

As a side note we might consider adding a --no-check flag some day when we get around to it.
thank you for your patience.

Sal
MPinillos

Post by MPinillos »

Hi, I actually use the 0.3.0gitf4a585b in order to play Monkey 4 PC version, and configurated the settings as it is indicated in this forum. When I had windows 8 the game runs perfect, except the CGI bank part, which the game freezes and I'm forced to skip it if I want to still playing.

Now I have windows 10 and I cannot play EMI in fullscreen: The game slows down at the beginning (Titles) and freezes when I start controlling Guybrush. Is not a capital problem, because windowed is perfectly playable, but I notify it to you.

How's going the delevopment? Do you release a new version soon?