Fullscreen software rendering on Mac OSX problem

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JManuel

Fullscreen software rendering on Mac OSX problem

Post by JManuel »

Hi, first thanks for awesome project. I am using daily build on Mac OSX 10.10.2. My goal is to play the game in full screen. It works as long as I deselect "Software Rendering". However in this mode the lighting is a bit distracting. It can be seen on Manny's suit for example, it kind of "flickers". If I select "Software Rendering" the lighting is great, but the game view is not full screen. There are black borders around the image in all four sides.

I did search this issue on the forums and I also browsed Github issues. My understanding is that it is because the software rendering is hard coded to 640 x 480 and some monitors just display lower resolutions like that, instead of scaling them. Being on Mac, I can't (at least not to my knowledge) change any video card settings either to compensate that.

What I am not sure is, that is this issue already fixed or going to be fixed in near future? If not, that's ok too. I can live with non-software renderer. I can compile the ResidualVM myself if needed to test some experimental pull requests or patches.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Re: Fullscreen software rendering on Mac OSX problem

Post by somaen »

The problem is that the software renderer draws natively, and does not allow for creating a larger window currently.

A (severly untested) suggestion for a fix is available at https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/pull/1109

That gives me a fullscreen window with pillarboxes (of course, as the game is 4:3), but no lines on the top/bottom, on my Mac (10.10.2, Radeon HD 6750M).

I give no warranties for it's usability, as that was a suggestion I threw together rather quickly, and was only ever tested on master using the Escape From Monkey Island demo.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Re: Fullscreen software rendering on Mac OSX problem

Post by aquadran »

JManuel wrote:Hi, first thanks for awesome project. I am using daily build on Mac OSX 10.10.2. My goal is to play the game in full screen. It works as long as I deselect "Software Rendering". However in this mode the lighting is a bit distracting. It can be seen on Manny's suit for example, it kind of "flickers". If I select "Software Rendering" the lighting is great, but the game view is not full screen. There are black borders around the image in all four sides.

I did search this issue on the forums and I also browsed Github issues. My understanding is that it is because the software rendering is hard coded to 640 x 480 and some monitors just display lower resolutions like that, instead of scaling them. Being on Mac, I can't (at least not to my knowledge) change any video card settings either to compensate that.

What I am not sure is, that is this issue already fixed or going to be fixed in near future? If not, that's ok too. I can live with non-software renderer. I can compile the ResidualVM myself if needed to test some experimental pull requests or patches.
try turn off aspect ratio in ResidualVM options, it will use 640x480 will black borders on left and right. it's OS X driver feature to keep aspect ratio.
Regarding OpenGL lighting issues, it seems driver issue. I had it too.