Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
compholio
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 am

Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by compholio »

Hello everyone, it's been about a decade for me - but since Grim Remastered came out I just had to see if I could get it to load up in ResidualVM. I've put together a repo with a bunch of stubs necessary to get the game to load up to the first scene:
https://github.com/compholio/residualvm

You'll also need one "horrible hack" to work around some of the fonts only being available in TTF:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/comp ... tfile1.txt

I don't have a lot of spare time these days, but I hope to get the quirks worked out relatively soon so that ResidualVM can work with the files from the remastered version of the game.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by aquadran »

compholio wrote:Hello everyone, it's been about a decade for me - but since Grim Remastered came out I just had to see if I could get it to load up in ResidualVM. I've put together a repo with a bunch of stubs necessary to get the game to load up to the first scene:
https://github.com/compholio/residualvm

You'll also need one "horrible hack" to work around some of the fonts only being available in TTF:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/comp ... tfile1.txt

I don't have a lot of spare time these days, but I hope to get the quirks worked out relatively soon so that ResidualVM can work with the files from the remastered version of the game.
Hi, I'm sorry but we'll not support Remastered anytime soon (propably years).
We will deny any pull request with changes.
User avatar
JohnnyWalker2001
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:27 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

What aquadran is trying to say is that, for fear of upsetting LucasArts/Disney/Sony, ResidualVM will very deliberately not be supporting Grim Fandango Remastered any time soon. (Much like ScummVM doesn't support the Monkey Island: Special Editions.) Support in RVM could allow GFR to be played on other platforms that Disney may wish to pursue themselves at a later date, for example.
compholio
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 am

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by compholio »

Well, all I can say is that that's incredibly disappointing.
User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by MusicallyInspired »

But also completely sensible and understandable. Why get on Disney's bad side now? Especially considering they've been extremely forthcoming and excited about bringing the old classics back in a way that LucasArts never was (save for the year or so when the MI Special Editions came out). Also considering Disney's greedy past in protecting its intellectual properties, this is indeed a very nice thing we have going. It doesn't make sense to mess it up.

EDIT: I'm sorry, this is a very old thread. I've just come here for the first time in a while and all these threads are flagged "new". My bad.
User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by Longcat »

MusicallyInspired wrote:But also completely sensible and understandable. Why get on Disney's bad side now? Especially considering they've been extremely forthcoming and excited about bringing the old classics back in a way that LucasArts never was (save for the year or so when the MI Special Editions came out). Also considering Disney's greedy past in protecting its intellectual properties, this is indeed a very nice thing we have going. It doesn't make sense to mess it up.

EDIT: I'm sorry, this is a very old thread. I've just come here for the first time in a while and all these threads are flagged "new". My bad.
I frequent this forum and find all the post links really annoying as well. A "View new posts" link only, like on the ScummVM forums would suffice.
User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by Graxer »

Longcat wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:But also completely sensible and understandable. Why get on Disney's bad side now? Especially considering they've been extremely forthcoming and excited about bringing the old classics back in a way that LucasArts never was (save for the year or so when the MI Special Editions came out). Also considering Disney's greedy past in protecting its intellectual properties, this is indeed a very nice thing we have going. It doesn't make sense to mess it up.

EDIT: I'm sorry, this is a very old thread. I've just come here for the first time in a while and all these threads are flagged "new". My bad.
I frequent this forum and find all the post links really annoying as well. A "View new posts" link only, like on the ScummVM forums would suffice.
I agree, this really bothers me. When I come on this forum there are always lots of threads marked as unread even though they were posted months ago and I wasn't interested in them. This makes it difficult to look for new posts. It would be good if, like on the ScummVM forum, the topics that were marked were only the ones which had changed since you last visited.
bgK
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by bgK »

There is a "Mark forums read" link on the board index that helps with unread messages.
User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Re: Grim Remastered in ResidualVM

Post by Longcat »

bgK wrote:There is a "Mark forums read" link on the board index that helps with unread messages.
That might be, but it is still annoying to new members(and old) all the same.

What is the point of having 5?1 almost identical links, that does not do the one thing you are wanting it to do?
Post Reply