I just completed Monkey Island 4 in ResidualVM. Great job!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JenniBee

I just completed Monkey Island 4 in ResidualVM. Great job!

Post by JenniBee »

I played Escape from Monkey Island a bit in ResidualVM about a year ago, and was excited to see that I could get to Lucre Island. Then, this year I saw that it was being improved for the Google Summer of Code, so I decided to give it a try and see how far I could get now. I was actually able to get all the way through it in ResidualVM, as I completed it today. :)

It freezes in a few spots (such as when trying to open the tupperware under the ocean, or after putting the earrings on the figurehead), but I was able to get past them by using emi_jump in the debug console (I didn't have the debug option enabled in the ini file, so it didn't actually jump to any scenes, but for some reason it did manage to jump start the script actions to get the scene unstuck). Other than those few instances of stuck actions, the boat going straight through the logs in the lava, and some of the forest monkeys randomly not appearing when you challenge them to Monkey Kombat (which required loading a save game, since it caused the game to get stuck), there were no major problems and I was able to play straight through to the end.

Congratulations on this accomplishment. :) It's nice to be able to play Escape from Monkey Island again, since it doesn't play nice on modern computers and it's been a while since any of my computers have been able to run it.
jepael

Re: I just completed Monkey Island 4 in ResidualVM. Great jo

Post by jepael »

Good to know.

Did you take a nightly build or did you compile yourself from some git branch?
Also, what platform you tested on?
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

It was with a nightly build on OS X (Intel 64-bit processor).
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Does Residual support the PS2 version?

It would be a shame not to support it, because that version was the most definite version you could get, since it was on DVD it had much more space than the 2 discs on the PC version. Most notably better quality FMVs, music and backgrounds and in fact higher polycount on characters and items (you can easily see that by loading the game up on a PS2 emu), gamepad optimized controlls, and bonus features such as viewable concept art.
klusark

Post by klusark »

Fischkopf wrote:Does Residual support the PS2 version?

It would be a shame not to support it, because that version was the most definite version you could get, since it was on DVD it had much more space than the 2 discs on the PC version. Most notably better quality FMVs, music and backgrounds and in fact higher polycount on characters and items (you can easily see that by loading the game up on a PS2 emu), gamepad optimized controlls, and bonus features such as viewable concept art.
We don't right now, but will eventually. Most of the people working on EMI own a PS2 copy, so it's just a matter of taking the time to figure out why it isn't working right now. We're stuck on getting the controls to work properly for the PS2 version right now.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

We do accept bug reports for EMI at this point, so if you have any outstanding that we lack in our tracker, then feel free to add them.

As for the PS2 version, I know of two things that don't work there right now, music (we know how to play the music files, we just lack a mapping from the game scripts to which files to play), controls (they work in the very first scene on the ship, but stop working once you reach mel├®e Island). Other than that, I really have no idea if there are other problems lurking around there, as the game is a bit hard to test without controls.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

This isn't entirely correct though, as you can read here. The PS2 version definitely did render nicer models but I have no idea how that worked.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Gannet wrote:

This isn't entirely correct though, as you can read here. The PS2 version definitely did render nicer models but I have no idea how that worked.
You're probably right, it could have something to do with he shading on the PS2, but no doubt they do appear to look nicer. But apart from the graphics the other thing that stands out the most is the controls, it plays reaaaally nice with a analog stick.
The3Dguy

Post by The3Dguy »

Fischkopf wrote: You're probably right, it could have something to do with he shading on the PS2, but no doubt they do appear to look nicer. But apart from the graphics the other thing that stands out the most is the controls, it plays reaaaally nice with a analog stick.
For the ps2 it was all about smoothing groups, which gave the appearance of having smooth surfaces with more polygons.
The also probably used FSAA, since i remember a pretty clean picture overall.
Also i would be interest to know if the ps2 version of the game will be moddable(textures\models) with Rvm.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

PS2 EMI, just like PC/MAC EMI shares a lot of (non-gfx) code with Grim. Grim has support for datausr.lab files, it would be trivial to do something similar with EMI, however, while textures are trivial (TGA), the models would need conversion tools written (just like the deluxe-project on here did for Grim) to be usefully moddable).

As it stands both Grim and EMI get a bunch of script patches from us as it is (to fix bugs and move configuration from efmi.cfg to the correct place among other things).
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

I'm a big fan of what you guys are doing here. I found out about ResidualVM from my ScummVM experience. Monkey Island is the main game that I have enjoyed playing on ScummVM, so when I saw that Escape from Monkey Island was being worked on I thought I'd help. I downloaded the daily build from January 1, 2015, 10:26 pm. Played the whole game (completed) through on my Windows 7 x64 bit. While playing I took screenshots of what I could and notes of everything else. Most of the issues are already reported on GitHub, but there seemed to be one or two not on there. I will try to put the ones I found on the site, so they can be looked at. Of all the issues encountered, it mainly involved some graphical issues and some voice cut outs (characters start talking and quit mid-sentence). Didn't have any freezes in game. If more information is needed feel free to ask. I'm not too sure what is useful for you guys and what isn't other than bug reporting on GitHub. Thanks again.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

First of all, thanks a lot for doing some much needed testing of EFMI.

If the bugs already exist on github, but you have something to add to them (i.e. steps to reproduce if they lack), then by all means do so. Some of the older bugs may also have people asking "is this still a problem" in them, if that's the case, mentioning that they still are issues is good.

Other than that, the following information should preferably be in any bug report if possible:

Version of game: (i.e. Language in case of Monkey Island, further specifics like jewelcase/dvd/budget if there are detection issues).
OS: Windows (Including version, i.e. XP/7/8/8.1, 64/32) / OS X (Including full version) / Linux (Including distro and version if applicable, i.e. Ubuntu 14.04)
Graphics Card: (Not strictly required unless issue is graphical and only shows up in OpenGL Renderer)
Renderer: TinyGL (Software) / OpenGL (Hardware)
Version of ResidualVM: Number is listed in launcher, if you built it yourself it might be worth mentioning so.

Steps to reproduce the bug. (I.e. what you had to do to produce the bug)

And, if you have a chance, a save close to where the bug can be reproduced. (Tip: Rename the file to a .png file, then github allows you to drag and drop it in).

This sounds tedious, but is in fact a one-time job that you then can repaste into all your issues, and it helps us in narrowing down any issues if we can't reproduce using whatever systems we have at hand.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

So I updated the bugs with all the information and some save files. I looked through the issues and I'm pretty sure the 5 issues I posted are new ones. I'll update some of the old issues of the ones I encountered in game.

When you would like some more testing done on newer versions, feel free to ask me. I will be looking at news updates anyways, so if you post anything on the forums I will probably have some time to help.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

The3Dguy wrote:For the ps2 it was all about smoothing groups, which gave the appearance of having smooth surfaces with more polygons.
The also probably used FSAA, since i remember a pretty clean picture overall.
Is ResidualVM capable of using smoothing groups? Could it be done to the PC version?
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

I haven't been active on the site for a while. :oops: I know that work on 3.0 was in progress at the time. Totally wish I had programming experience, but I thought I'd pop in and see if there was a need for some testing or whatnot. Unfortunately I only own EMI. Thanks for everything!