Mouse interface for Grim Fandango (Fan made mod)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Thanks for all your work Tobias!

Here's the upper part of the stack (Apple stuff is all the same as previous traces so I didn't copy it, just the upper part and the app stuff):

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x000000010753cc8e SDL_VideoInit + 210
1 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x0000000107522624 SDL_InitSubSystem + 113
2 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x00000001075226d8 SDL_Init + 21
3 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x00000001072f5148 OSystem_SDL::initSDL() + 136
4 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x00000001072f4d05 OSystem_SDL::init() + 37
5 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x00000001072f60ee OSystem_POSIX::init() + 94
6 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x00000001072f69a7 SDL_main + 151
7 org.residualvm.residualvm 0x0000000107521f65 -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:] + 49
8 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9052ae0c __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ + 12
9 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9041ea6d _CFXNotificationPost + 2893
10 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff92a807ba -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 68
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff90bf8cf9 -[NSApplication _postDidFinishNotification] + 289
12 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff90bf8a2c -[NSApplication _sendFinishLaunchingNotification] + 195
13 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff90bf5916 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleAEOpenEvent:] + 570
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

After compiling the latest version from git (along with this commit that fixes a crash in ResidualVM in year 3), I just played through the game with Grim Mouse.

I had to skip the scene at the sunken ship because I couldn't pick up Chepito (as in this issue brought up in the bug tracker), but before and after that I was able to play through completely with the mouse. Once the Chepito issue is fixed, it looks like it will be possible to play through Grim Fandango completely with Grim Mouse. :D

Great job. It really is so much better playing Grim Fandango this way. :)
abogard

Post by abogard »

JenniBee wrote:After compiling the latest version from git (along with this commit that fixes a crash in ResidualVM in year 3), I just played through the game with Grim Mouse.

I had to skip the scene at the sunken ship because I couldn't pick up Chepito (as in this issue brought up in the bug tracker), but before and after that I was able to play through completely with the mouse. Once the Chepito issue is fixed, it looks like it will be possible to play through Grim Fandango completely with Grim Mouse. :D

Great job. It really is so much better playing Grim Fandango this way. :)

So it wasn't just me, I'm also having this problem with Chepito, I just want to know if there's any way of doing it without the mouse because I wasn't able to do it with the keyboard either
elpendor

Post by elpendor »

tobiaspfaff wrote:
elpendor wrote:Freaking awesome.

Any chance this will work on the Android build?
I haven't tried running the Android port yet, but from what I've seen it's amazing work. Would be cool to do a touch interface for Android, but I first want to make this point'n'click version more stable, and let the Android team do the same.
Cool. Again, awesome work.

I'm a coder myself, I might look into it eventually if I have the time (and assuming your code is public somewhere)
momomomo888

Post by momomomo888 »

Is the mac bin Snow Leopard compatible? ResidualVM runs on my machine but Grim Mouse isn't :?

I tried compiling from the last git pull, but I dont have too much experience with this so it seems I couldn't do it right hehe I must have missed a lib or something :? ...

But anyway, THANKS a lot for this mod. It's just the only thing I always missed from Grim Fandango :)
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

abogard wrote:So it wasn't just me, I'm also having this problem with Chepito, I just want to know if there's any way of doing it without the mouse because I wasn't able to do it with the keyboard either
I couldn't figure out any way to do it (I kept pressing U on Chepito, but it wouldn't work, but it works fine in regular ResidualVM).

The way I got past it was to manually skip the scene by setting game_devel_mode=true in residual.ini and using Ctrl+G to skip the scene to the new set ea (I had to skip to the end of the world because Manny wasn't carrying Chepito so the octopus submarine scene wouldn't work right). The game was completely playable with the mouse from the end of the world on though.
hennymcc

Post by hennymcc »

Great job. This is way better than the keyboard controls.

I played to the Petrified Forest without problems. Then the car became invisible and the game was stuck somehow. Probably this is not related to the mouse mod.

This might also be a good way to control the Android port. The only thing missing for this is some kind of pop-up menu.
It could pop-up when the mouse is pressed for a longer time - and let you select an action: examine, pickup/put-away, use, inventory. It could be similar to the one in Full-Throttle or Curse of Monkey Island (or the overlay in the current Android port). A short press performs the default action, as it is already the case.
tobiaspfaff

v0.4 release

Post by tobiaspfaff »

Hi all,

I fixed a bunch of bugs (mostly hotspot-related issues). Thanks for reporting everyone! Special thanks to Frederking, who reported lots of issues, and made it easy for me to reproduce many of them.

I also built the Mac version differently; in at least one instance this fixed the SDL-related crash many of the Mac users encountered here. I'm still not sure what exactly is going on, so this might not be a general fix. If you encountered the Mac-crash before, please let me know if the fix works or the crashes still happen.

--- Changelog -----
v0.4
- Fixed height check (issue #16,#22)
- Inventory bug fix (#10, thanks to Sparkash!)
- Hotspot fixes #14,#15,#18,#19,#20,#21,#23,#24,#28
(Lighthouse, Sewers, Boobytrapped wagon, Beach, Chepito, Toto, Rag, Pumping tree)
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Grim Mouse still crashes in year 3 due to a bug in ResidualVM that was fixed a short time ago. If you don't want to merge completely from master, it was fixed in branch 7390c8974b.
Last edited by Freddo on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

JenniBee wrote:Grim Mouse still crashes in year 3 due to a bug in ResidualVM that was fixed a short time ago. If you don't want to merge completely from master, it was fixed in branch 7390c8974b.
Ah, interesting, thanks for the hint!
I rebase onto the newest master from time to time, but haven't caught this commit yet. I'll update the binaries to include this patch.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Very, really, unbelievable impressive project !!!
You're great man!

This indeed is a fresh new idea which can bring GF to the thousand gamers that never knew it, and make them enjoy the game as the pure adventure it is.
Well done!
noize

Re: v0.4 release

Post by noize »

tobiaspfaff wrote:If you encountered the Mac-crash before, please let me know if the fix works or the crashes still happen.
Works now. Thanks a lot!
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Wow. This is seriously impressive stuff. Can't wait to try it.

Edit: Wow it works! I can't believe it.

Well done, sir!
robb_force

Post by robb_force »

This is awesome work!

I wanted to be able to call the residualvm executable from the command-line, but the current binary wasn't built to allow that. So, I pulled the source and built the visual studio project files with the included tools. It looks like the tools came straight over from the scummvm project as several libraries were not needed for the residualvm build. After some tinkering, everything appears to build ok, and includes the build option for commandline usage. I can call the exe from a batch file, allowing me to skip the loader to launch right into grim.

Here's the residualvm.exe if you're interested.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9yvov ... cmdline.7z
hennymcc

Post by hennymcc »

For those who are interested in an Android version, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5ja82cji0amr ... -debug.apk

Sources can be found here:
https://github.com/tobigun/residualvm/tree/mouse

I also updated the sidebar (it was started by Botje IIRC). It is now hidden by default and can be opened by pressing the device's menu button.

The buttons in order:
- menu: opens the in-game menu
- inventory
- mouse-mode: touchpad (only cursor is moved), direct touch (cursor is positioned at finger position), joystick emulation (the one from Botje)
- tap action: use, look-at, pick-up
- skip dialog: same as pressing "."
- hotspots: show hotspots (space)
- up: emulates arrow-key up
- ok: emulates enter
- down: emulates arrow-key down
- left: emulates arrow-key left
- right: emulates arrow-key right

The tap-action might also be replaced by multi-finger gestures or a long press in the future. The arrow-keys are handy for the game menu as there is no mouse support in there. With a long press to the menu button a virtual keyboard will be displayed, so you can also type in savegame names.

Have fun. And again thanks to tobiaspfaff for his work.
The only thing missing is in-game menu mouse support (and maybe support for the pick-up action, I think it is needed at the end of the game to pick-up the bone-grinder) :)