Mouse interface for Grim Fandango (Fan made mod)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LogicDeLuxe

Re: Mouse interface for Grim Fandango (Fan made mod)

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Here is some feedback from me:
Tested in Windows 7 x64. English game version.

Some minor issues I noticed so far:

If I switch task when in fullscreen, my mouse pointer is invisible.

in year 1:
This is very minor, but it seems odd that Manny walks over the distant corner instead of straight through the garage when I click there. (from the elevator to Glottis' hut)

in year 2:
Carla's hotspot is off when she leans on the table. I have to click behind her.

If you go from the kitchen elevator back into the kitchen, it seems impossible to re-enter the lift by clicking on it. Manny just walks into it, but the screen doesn't switch. Every time I click again, he just walks out and in again. If I use the keyboard, the screen switches to the elevator as intended.

There is no "walk"-cursor at the retractable bridge.

The tools for Glottis have no hotspot.

in year 3:
On the conveyor belt under water, I was not able to walk from the anchor room back to the lever room when the conveyor belt is running downwards. I had no problems doing this with the keyboard.

At the safe, when using the wheel before picking the lock, there is no mouse control at all, not even for leaving the wheel. This is confusing. There should be hotspots for turning the wheel and for leaving the wheel again, just like they are after picking the lock.

In the crane, there seems no way to let the chain down anywhere except for the ends. Even it is not useful to do that, the game has animations for it.

in year 4:
In the alligator room, you can't go up the ladder by clicking the walk hotspot. It is only possible by clicking at the bottom of the ladder where the pointer does not change.
Also in the alligator room, there is no hotspot for walking back to the cave. With the keyboard, you can just walk the catwalk back and Manny goes back to the cave.

At the cracked gargoyle, when walking around by clicking, I got the climbing or jumping off the ledge animation frequently missing. Manny just walked through the ledge instead.

It is not very obvious that you can walk around the greenhouse. Some walk hotspots there would help, I guess.

Besides that, there is one thing which would improve the point and click feel quite a bit: Display hotspot names when hovering the mouse over them.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Hi, could you compile a version for 10.6 osx's users.
Many Thanks.
BobOmber

Post by BobOmber »

Playing Grim Fandango on ResidualVM wih Grim Mouse 0.7 mod, game crashed short after entering Domino's room (early start of the game), when I tried to change the automatic message of his computer. Clicked one option but the first one was selected, after it I tried to click the option I wanted but the game crashed.
Now game crashes when trying to load the savegame, with both the modded ResidualVM and the genuine ResidualVM 0.2.0.

Whole console log on ResidualVM 0.2.0:
(Mouse modded ResidualVM closes instantly when trying to load, therefore I'm unable to see its console after the error; even when I launch the virtual machine from the Windows Console the same happens)
User picked target 'grim-win' (gameid 'grim')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Grim Engine
Starting 'Grim Fandango'
INFO: OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
INFO: OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 495/PCIe/SSE2
INFO: OpenGL Version: 3.3.9
INFO: OpenGL Red bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Green bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Blue bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Alpha bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Z buffer depth bits: 24
INFO: OpenGL Double Buffer: 1
INFO: OpenGL Stencil buffer bits: 8
WARNING: Lua_v1::SetGamma, implement opcode, level: 0.000000!
GrimEngine::savegameRestore() started.
Assertion failed: obj->value.f, file engines/grim/lua/lrestore.cpp, line 174
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

We do not offer any guarantee of save game compatibility between Grim Mouse and ResidualVM proper (incidentally the same also may hold true while using nightly-builds, as code changes can momentarily break savegame compatibility). This will hold true for as long as Grim Mouse is an external fork, as we have no control over how updated Grim Mouse is against our code.

However, there is another thing you should be aware of when juggling versions of ResidualVM, and that is that each version of ResidualVM comes packaged with a file called "residualvm-grim-patch.lab". This file contains the script patches that we apply to the game, so that we can fix script-bugs in the game. Now, the patches are a bit tricky, as whatever version of the patches were in use when you saved a game, is the only version that will get applied to that chain of savegames, ever. To say it differently: The latest patches are only pulled in when you start a NEW game. This means for instance that a save game done with 0.1.1 will not have any script patches added to 0.2.0 applied to it when you load in 0.2.0.

Overall, a save game done in Grim Mouse is unlikely to work perfectly in ResidualVM, the same probably holds true the other way around. If you ARE going to try, I'd suggest trying ResidualVM 0.1.1 as that is closer to where the fork to Grim Mouse was done.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Hello.
Please re-upload, pc & mac mod are off the line.
Cheers.
mangleus

Post by mangleus »

Yepp. There is even a request on Reddit after grim-mouse. It would be nice to see this. Does anyone anywhere still have a link/copy of it? Its just a few mb's in size, right?
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

The source code still seems to be available at the original link.
Grim Mouse is, as it says in the title, a fan made mod. I'm not sure whether this got merged with ResidualVM's main branch, I don't think it ever did although the developers themselves would know more.

The man who developed this (tobiaspfaff) might not have time to maintain it, or synchronize its changes with ResidualVM's main branch.
Unless he decides to reupload it himself, or someone else has it on their computer and can provide links, OR someone else builds it and takes it upon himself/herself to upload it or host it somewhere, your best bet would be to build it for yourself.

Having said that, building it shouldn't be too complicated even without much technical know-how, especially if you're using Linux/Mac. It isn't that complicated for Windows either, although there's a bit more fiddling about with the libraries, or you can set up MinGW as described on the build instruction page linked below.

If you pair what he said here:
http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=3038#p3038
...along with the instructions here:
http://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php/Bu ... ResidualVM

...you should end up with a functioning version of Grim Mouse.
mangleus

Post by mangleus »

Thank you for the information provided that gives a good overview of how to hack it on ones own.

A bit of a pity though that there seem to not be any precompiled binary left anywhere in cyberspace, if anyone would just like to have a quick look at it.

At some time when i have a normal internet connection again i probably will start to look into the Git stuff, since it seems very interesting indeed. :)

Thanks.
M.
mangleus

Post by mangleus »

Found a link to Grim Mouse through Internet Archives WayBack Machine by using the old url :) Not the latest version 7, but version 6. According to the change-log however its nothing too dramatic that changed it seems.

Here is the link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140620063 ... se_0_6.zip

My personal interest was to see how good it would run in graphical mode on a rather old laptop. Not good at all in fact. It would crash, and look strange in Graphical mode, but behave flawlessly and also look great in 3d mode.

All the best,
M
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the links were still going to my old homepage. I now re-uploaded the Mac and Windows binaries, you can grab them using the link on the first post in this thread.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

tobiaspfaff wrote:Sorry, I hadn't noticed the links were still going to my old homepage. I now re-uploaded the Mac and Windows binaries, you can grab them using the link on the first post in this thread.
Many thanks, bro ! ;)

Your work is awesome. :)
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Hello, any chance to see this project merged with the offical scummvm release ?
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Harrypoppins wrote:Hello, any chance to see this project merged with the offical scummvm release ?
I'm pretty sure Scummvm is for 2D games only. This game has 3d characters. :D
OzzieMonkey

Post by OzzieMonkey »

Is there any chance a similar mod will be applied to Escape From Monkey Island in the future?