Mouse interface for Grim Fandango (Fan made mod)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tobiaspfaff

Re: Mouse interface for Grim Fandango (Fan made mod)

Post by tobiaspfaff »

noize wrote: the black rectangle underneath the inventory is now sized too small.
Ah, true, thanks for noticing. It's fixed in the repository now, and will be included in the next build.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Hello. Still d'ont work on mac osx 10.6.8 with b5.
Cheers.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

tobiaspfaff wrote:Well, this depends on the residualvm dev team. I'd be willing to re-organize my codebase and put it through a review for inclusion into the main branch, but that'd really depend on whether they want the mouse mod as an option in residualvm.
You know, given the recent Remastered announcement, I think this could be a brilliant idea.
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
tobiaspfaff wrote:Well, this depends on the residualvm dev team. I'd be willing to re-organize my codebase and put it through a review for inclusion into the main branch, but that'd really depend on whether they want the mouse mod as an option in residualvm.
You know, given the recent Remastered announcement, I think this could be a brilliant idea.
I too would like to see the option for P&C interface built in the Residual.
momomomo888

Post by momomomo888 »

tobiaspfaff wrote:
Jon God wrote:I still cannot get it to run in Snow Leopard(Instant crash).
Yeah, this problem popped up a number of times. The issue is almost certainly related to the way I build the residualvm OSX release bundle (and its SDL, zlib library dependencies). I tried out a few different things, which fixed the issue for some, but apparently I still does not work on some machines. Ultimately this is hard to debug for me, as I do not have access to any machines on which this problem occurs. It would be awesome to get a residualvm main dev to comment on how they build their releases, which do not share this problem.
@tobiaspfaff I use Snow Leopard (I'm going to change to Mavericks in no time) and your binaries always crashed on my machine.

But the versions I compiled run perfectly :? I don't think I can be of much help as it was the first time I compiled something for mac (I only do it for iOS), but I didn't do anything special... just follow the official wiki "how-to compile residualvm" libraries installation, download your code, ./configure and make... the .app is not automatically created but the executable is, so at the end I insert it into the residualvm.app bundle.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Now, I can only speak for myself, but I think we can atleast discuss merging parts of your changes upstream. Feel free to drop in at #residualvm on freenode for a discussion about this.

As for my personal opinion
I'd prefer a solution where the added data (i.e. hotspots) was NOT merged with ResidualVM, but rather made available as a datausr.lab of some sort. There is also the question of savegame intercompatibility, any savegame will only contain the lua-patches that were active when it was saved. (Which is also why our fixes to game-bugs will not be reflected if you test with a save made prior to the patch being applied).

As for EMI, it has a more complex system, where each hotspot has a multitude of actions available on it (sometimes you also interact with off screen objects, see for instance the very first scene, where you can look at pirates, unloaded cannons etc, none of which are on screen. This would presumably be impossible to allow with a P&C-interface).
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

Version 0.6 is out -- just a smaller bugfix release (fixed issues #34, #35, #36).

As usual, Windows + Mac executables and instructions available at:
http://tobiaspfaff.com/blog/2014/05/25/grim/

Also, I finally got my hands on an older Mac, and now have an idea what might have caused the instant-crashes on mac.
Building on OS X to support earlier OS versions is super-weird... Anyhow, I hope this fixes these stupid crashes for good. Let me know if it works for you!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

somaen wrote:Now, I can only speak for myself, but I think we can atleast discuss merging parts of your changes upstream. Feel free to drop in at #residualvm on freenode for a discussion about this.
Sure, I'll drop by. At which time of day are people usually online? The last two times I peeked in there it was very empty :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

tobiaspfaff wrote:
somaen wrote:Now, I can only speak for myself, but I think we can atleast discuss merging parts of your changes upstream. Feel free to drop in at #residualvm on freenode for a discussion about this.
Sure, I'll drop by. At which time of day are people usually online? The last two times I peeked in there it was very empty :)
Around 6pm to 12pm CET is always a good time
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

somaen wrote:
tobiaspfaff wrote:
As for EMI, it has a more complex system, where each hotspot has a multitude of actions available on it (sometimes you also interact with off screen objects, see for instance the very first scene, where you can look at pirates, unloaded cannons etc, none of which are on screen. This would presumably be impossible to allow with a P&C-interface).
That's right, but for that particular scene you could just assign "move focus" option to the mousewheel, and then keep on playing normally.

I think this mod should be just a custom patch file that you need to put in your GF folder, which you can optionally supply in the download section.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Hello, the b7 don't work with snow leo (osx 10.6.8), any tips (impossible to compile).
Cheers.
JohnnyWalker2001

Tobias: Are DF using any of your code? Are you still going to update this project now? What were the DF offices like? :)
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Tobias: Are DF using any of your code? Are you still going to update this project now? What were the DF offices like? :)
Well, DF can't directly use any of my code, as the backend is completely different. But yeah, I am involved in getting hotspots etc. to work on their side. Their office looks exactly like you'd expect from the documentaries; it's a bit surreal, like walking into a movie studio :)

I haven't spent a lot of time on the Residual mod lately. I did want to produce a non-hacky version of my code at some point and discuss potentially including that into upstream-- besides the, uhm, 'organic' code, there's a lot of the design I'd now do differently; but it's one of those things you only learn that while actually dealing with the code.
None of this has happened yet, mostly because I'm busy with 10000 other things at the moment, and I do feel bad about it. The reality is, though, that it's a lot of work, especially on the lua side, to make things work smoothly and test against all sorts of weird interactions with the game code. And as interest in the mouse mod has waned after its initial release and the DF announcement, I'm not sure how much sense it would make at the moment for me to invest that time. I guess I'll see how things play out with that.

That being said, the mod is still around and mostly usable, and if people are using it and find bugs, I'll fix them. And if there's a major push towards a touch Android/iPad version with hotspots, or something, I'm also happy to chip in a bit.
JohnnyWalker2001

So you're actually *working* on GF:RM? If so, congrats and... I'm sure I speak for most GF fans when I say: Focus on that for now! :)

It's interesting that they're not going to use any of Residual's code? I thought they might use that as jumping off point?

Well done, anyhoo!
malaxor

Post by malaxor »

Hi,

There is a problem with text rendering when using resolution scaling.

The easiest way to notice it, is when there is much text on the screen, for example if you press F1 and choose options.
You will see yellow artifacts appearing below text, especially when something is selected.

This problem doesn't appear when not using a custom resolution (when not specifying gameWidth/gameHeight).

Is it possible to fix this issue?

Thanks for this great mod!