Daily build availability and operation of patch

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jepael

Daily build availability and operation of patch

Post by jepael »

Pardon my ignorance but I was about to download the latest daily build and start testing but currently there are no i386 Ubuntu or Debian packages available (just x86_64).

Is there some kind of problem with i386 debs or are they just currently being built? Are there any older daily builds available or should I just wait for new builds to appear anytime soon? I guess the ultimate solution would just be to just build it from git though, but I'd like to have a version that is likely to be used by others as well, not just me, so I can rule out build problems on my side.

And then about the patch, I read the latest builds should work with old files plus the patch executable on the same directory. I guess this patch is used on the fly, so the original files in the directory are not modified at all?
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

I don't know about the Ubuntu-builds, I just do the Mac-ones, but with regards to the patch, ResidualVM will read the patch-files directly from gfupd101.exe allowing that data to have higher priority than the original files, which means "no original files were harmed during the production of this game" :P

Either way, don't test with older builds, building for yourself should be rather straight forward though, just get SDL, and make sure it finds zlib, and the rest should be automatic. (with the added benefit of building a debug-build which is a tad easier to... well debug).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

May i suggest adding the patch to the downloads site, before it gets lost?
Or probably add it later to the 1.0 package?
giucam

Post by giucam »

jepael

Post by jepael »

Thanks, I appreciate your input.
giucam wrote:There already is :) http://www.residualvm.org/demos
Sorry, I could only find the demos there, not the gfupd101.exe. Bear in mind redistribution rights (if any) to the file though, if you cache it to residualvm website.
somaen wrote: with regards to the patch, ResidualVM will read the patch-files directly from gfupd101.exe allowing that data to have higher priority than the original files, which means "no original files were harmed during the production of this game"

Either way, don't test with older builds, building for yourself should be rather straight forward though, just get SDL, and make sure it finds zlib, and the rest should be automatic. (with the added benefit of building a debug-build which is a tad easier to... well debug).
Yes it was very easy to clone the repository and build. Zlib was found. I ran the resulting binary, added the game into the list and pushed start. But it crashed with the following messages:

Code: Select all

WARNING: SDL mixer output buffer size: 1024 differs from desired: 2048!
WARNING: Could not find theme 'modern' falling back to builtin!
User picked target 'grim-win' (gameid 'grim')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Grim Engine
  Starting 'Grim Fandango'
residualvm-grim-patch.lab not found!
I have the patch binary in the game dir, and I even searched the source code that it has to be all lowercase letters, while the patch binary from Lucas website starts with uppercase letter G. But using lowercase letters did not help either, same result.

Some older daily build (0.0.7git May 17 2011 03:02:20) I also have did start OK.

What should I do next? Compile a debug build and how?
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Oh, this reminds me that the README needs an update.

either you'll have to do a proper make install, or you'll need to set up ResidualVM to look for a few files in the source-folder. (Since we do a few patches of our own to have the game run better).

In ResidualVM-options, look under "Paths", make sure the following are set:
Theme path: [source-folder]/gui/themes
Extra Path: [source-folder]/dists/engine-data

Optionally you can also specify a path of your own choosing for saves.
giucam

Post by giucam »

jepael wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your input.
giucam wrote:There already is :) http://www.residualvm.org/demos
Sorry, I could only find the demos there, not the gfupd101.exe. Bear in mind redistribution rights (if any) to the file though, if you cache it to residualvm website.
Meh, you're right. :? I read patch but i thought demo, sorry
jepael

Post by jepael »

somaen wrote:Oh, this reminds me that the README needs an update.
Thank you very much, indeed I did not try to install it, just run, and after setting the paths it worked.

Also the README still had the old way of applying the patch by extracting, so good thing I had that covered already.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Just fixed that, do mention anything else you had ANY problems with though, as we really like to get the documentation up to par.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »