Engines in ResidualVMVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I would love to see support for Discworld Noir and Gabriel Knight 3 eventually :)

EDIT: Oh, Blade Runner and Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy would be nice too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runn ... ideo_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightlong: ... Conspiracy
Last edited by Guest on Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Freddo wrote:I would love to see support for Discworld Noir and Gabriel Knight 3 eventually :)
Yes, Discworld Noir would be a great addition. I bought it a while ago but have been unable to get it to run on my computer.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

I got Discworld Noir working by installing Virtual PC with Windows 98 on it. I have to say I would prefer it on ResidualVM... :)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The problem with Discworld Noir isn't just the fact that it only runs on Windows, it is also very unstable and prone to crashing even on Windows 95/98 which it was designed for.

I think it is so buggy because Perfect Entertainment had to push it out the door quickly before they folded. I could be wrong though.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Ezekiel000 wrote:The problem with Discworld Noir isn't just the fact that it only runs on Windows, it is also very unstable and prone to crashing even on Windows 95/98 which it was designed for.

I think it is so buggy because Perfect Entertainment had to push it out the door quickly before they folded. I could be wrong though.
Only running on Windows is not a problem. That's sort of the whole point of projects like ResidualVM and ScummVM. Grim Fandango only had a Windows version after all.

Another nice thing about these projects is that it's possible for bugs from the original games to be fixed with workarounds. Just because a game is buggy shouldn't necessary preclude it from being supported.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

That was my point, those are problems with the original exe that make a Noir engine in ResidualVM a good idea.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Ezekiel000 wrote:That was my point, those are problems with the original exe that make a Noir engine in ResidualVM a good idea.
Ah, in that case I agree with you 100%. :)
nateav

Post by nateav »

I'd love to be able to play Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Then buy the GoG.com version;)
nateav

Post by nateav »

Yeah... still wouldn't run on my platform. That's kind of the point of projects like ResidualVM.

I'd also love to run The Longest Journey.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, no, it is only part of the point of a project like ResidualVM. And you probably could run it on your platform, assuming it's a Linux system or Os x, using Wine or similar. And this wouId also be true for TLJ. I too would like GK3 and TLJ support in ResidualVM, but the point is, if you want to play these games within the next ten years, the GoG version is most probably your only solution.
nateav

Post by nateav »

I used WINE to run Grim Fandango. In fact, this was how I played through the game for the first time last year. It was full of bugs and almost nightmarish to use. The current alpha version of ResidualVM has thus far been preferable in every way.

On the same token, The Longest Journey is not functional under WINE, although its possible that I could get it to run with some tinkering (I'll confess to not being the most knowledgable WINE user).

From my perspective, having support from an app like ResidualVM is FAR preferable to puttering around with WINE or rebooting into another OS, which is why I made the suggestion.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I most certainly agree with this, but seeing as it won't happen anytime soon I suggested these alternate methods. I know tlj has been made to work under wine, maybe check the gog user forums for help.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well if you know how to compile your own residual you can see how far alexbevi & scott-t have got in implementing TLJ:
http://github.com/alexbevi/residual/tree/tlj
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

... which is showing models on the first screen. Lots of work left to do on that engine still.