Is there a way to run/compile residual on ppc Mac G4?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Elowan

Is there a way to run/compile residual on ppc Mac G4?

Post by Elowan »

hi there,

i┬┤ve found grimX 0.3 and it runs ok. only problem so far, it crashes when loading a recent (save) game-state...

i took a chance with emulators (Q/Qemu and VirtualPC 5, windows 98 SE installed)

after getting many different errors and eliminating them one by one, there are still some flaws that make grim crash after the "loading-screen".

i also testet some grim-custom-launchers, but no success...

after installing the latest Win32 build of residual in the "Q" emulator, finally Grim starts. after the intro scene got skipped (can┬┤t be played?), the game begins in the office. i can access the menu and so on - but it┬┤s like 30sec delay when navigating in the menu :(

so it runs (kind of) but unplayable.

ok, so i decided to ask, if there is a way to get some of the latest residual files and make grimX 0.3 running them....

or maybe someone could give a step-by-step tutorial, if it┬┤s possible to compile a ppc version from the source-codes.

i promise to give my best to follow the instructions, i want this game to work an my 1.5ghz powerbook... it must be possible (somehow)..

maybe someone has already done this?

greetings and best regards,

Elo
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

AFAIK Grim X is simply a script-frontend to ResidualVM, which is mostly usefull if you want to change the debug-settings often, otherwise, since that came out, ResidualVM has gotten itself its own shiny GUI.

The big problem though, is that the version of ResidualVM that GrimX has, is outdated. Actually it predates savegame-support, and completability of the game.

Ive personally tried to use DosBox for a few games on my 1.67 G4, and that was on the "sort of not fast enough" side, so I wouldnt ever want to think of how slow it would be to try to emulate Windows-games, complete with 3D.

BUT, ResidualVM should be PPC-compatible, but is not currently built against PPC (nor seemingly 10.5 x86), so, the only solution, really, is to build it yourself (Needs XCode and SDL).
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Hmm,

Thx for your reply. Ok i never ever did things like building an application on my own, only some realbasic ones, back in the days.

I dont know, where to start and how to setup the environment to build.

In grimX is and option to update binarys, this is not something to put in new code?

So, is there someone out there and willing to tell me, what tools to install, how to setup and compile residual for ppc os10.5?

From what i've read, there are some more people interestet in ppc residual, so i suggest - when someone tutor me - to build this app, testing it and upload or contribute it to the community.

Greetings from frankfurt, germany
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Talking about emulators and speed...

Q is much slower than my virtualPC 5, both running same install of windows98se.

Unfortunatly, running Q seems to give some sort of 3d support emulation.
Afaik grim dont need 3d accel, but uses it, if found.

When emulating another grafic card ( like normal vga), grim wont start, because minimum colors needed are 256 but the emulation only is 16 colors.

In virtualPc, i got a sis card emulated, 32bit color and when trying to run grim.exe it wont start, cause "grim needs exculsive directX control, but other hardware is disturbing that"

Running grim windowed, it loads (screen with the hot rod car) abd crashes then, error is something "maxfiles" related. A assert textfile is created in the gamefolder automatically.

Bad luck, cause from what i ve experienced, virtualPC runs fast enough.
And grim dont need 3d support, if i am not wrong.

In Q i got it running so slow, you think it already freezes ;)
I tried to turn off 3d support in the game menu, but i could not turn the switch.
For other options, it was no problem.

Any idea, where the settings from game menu are stored?
giucam

Post by giucam »

Elowan wrote: In grimX is and option to update binarys, this is not something to put in new code?
GrimX is a third party software, so you must ask its developer.
Elowan wrote: So, is there someone out there and willing to tell me, what tools to install, how to setup and compile residual for ppc os10.5?
Well, try this: open the terminal and write

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/residualvm/residualvm.git
cd residual
./configure && make
If that succedes you should be able to run residual with a "./residual", otherwise paste here the error.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Ok, i'll give git a try, after i'm back from work.

Meanwhile i re-installed win98 on vpc5 and here it comes:

When i fix the reg, for running it from harddrive AND thats important, run the exe in the programm folder - it runs(!)

I can load, save and it's fast enough, running without 3d acceleration.

But anyway, it was already kind of a challenge, so i go on and see, if resi runs native on ppc. Would be awesome, because the tiny little fan in my powerbook maybe get so stress-free time then ;)
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

[/quote]
Well, try this: open the terminal and write

git clone git://github.com/residualvm/residualvm.git
cd residual
./configure && make
If that succedes you should be able to run residual with a "./residual", otherwise paste here the error.[/quote]

copy and pasted code - error: -bash: git: command not found

maybe git must be installed? is it on the xcode-package?
giucam

Post by giucam »

Yes, you must install git. I don't know if xcode includes it but you surely find a package googling for it.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

oki, git 1.6 universal installed, after

./configute && make i get: looking for C++ compiler... none found
giucam

Post by giucam »

You're missing GCC.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

oki, after installing xcode, i got this:

Powerbook:residual gforce$ ./configure && make
Running ResidualVM configure...
Looking for C++ compiler... g++
Checking for compiler version... 4.0.1, ok
Checking for whether -Wglobal-constructors work... no
Checking endianness... big
Type with 1 byte... char
Type with 2 bytes... short
Type with 4 bytes... int
Type with 8 bytes... couldn't find data type with 8 bytes
Target 64 bits... no
Compiling for x86... no
Checking hosttype... darwin9.8.0
Alignment required... no
Checking whether to have a verbose build... no
Checking whether building plugins was requested... no
Checking for Ogg Vorbis... no
Checking for Tremor... no
Checking for FLAC >= 1.0.1... no
Checking for MAD... no
Checking for ALSA >= 0.9... no
Checking for SEQ MIDI... yes
Checking for TiMidity... yes
Checking for zlib... yes
Checking for libmpeg2 >= 0.3.2... no
Checking for libfluidsynth... no
Checking for readline... skipping (text console disabled)
Checking for OpenGL... yes
Building translation support... no
Backend... sdl
Looking for sdl-config... none found!
what┬┤s next? ;)
giucam

Post by giucam »

As the output says, you need the SDL libraries.
Btw, can you come up in #residual on freenode? It's much easier to talk about stuff like this on irc.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The quickest way to fix that on a mac, is to install either fink or macports, and use that to get libsdl, either of those take care of installing SDL in a practical place, which configure should manage to find easily (updates are also easy with these).

Macports has the newest version of SDL, but needs to compile it (which takes some time on a PPC).

Fink has an older version that might work, and delivers precompiled binaries.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Hi,

Yes the idea of joining chat is great. I' ll look out for you this evening.

The macports sdl-thing gives a bit trouble. I understand half of what i'm reading on the macports homepage ;) could not find out, what package to download.

Or should it install it complete? From what i ve read, i got to update xcode first, because mine is the dvd package from 10.5. And macports needs versions above.

I'm not feeling very confident, but i try the sdl stuff, when updated my xcode and return from work.

Thx for the great support and hints so far!

Elo
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Can someone tell me, what sdl version (fink or macports) i need for compiling?
A link would be nice, because i am a little unsure about what to download and so on.

I am total noob on this and want to make sure to gping thru the right steps for setting everything up in the right way.