ScummVM “Interactive Fantasy” 2.2.0 Sees the Light

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM “Interactive Fantasy” 2.2.0 Sees the Light

Post by sev »

A new release of ScummVM is ready. This is a thrilling one because we are embracing adventure games as far back as 1976! That’s right, the infamous Colossal Cave Adventure, the very first Interactive Fiction game, is now supported by ScummVM.

Besides that (and about 1594 other IF games), we now added 3 more game engines and extended another 4, thus adding the following games to the supported list:
  • Blazing Dragons
  • Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD version
  • Griffon Legend
  • Interactive Fiction games
  • Operation Stealth
  • Police Quest: SWAT
  • Prince and the Coward, English translation
  • Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar
  • Ultima VI - The False Prophet
  • Ultima VIII - Pagan
As you can see, we continue our exploration into the world of RPGs.

Other notable changes are: a fully rewritten MorphOS port; a new subsystem for automatic saves present in nearly every engine we support; Right-To-Left display support in our GUI; updated MT-32 emulation code and Discord Rich Presence.

We now support additional different game versions, and have noticeable improvements to Illusions, Kyra, Lab, Queen, Titanic, Xeen and ZVision engines. There is also improved support for Maniac Mansion, NES and Apple //gs versions. As usual, we continue fixing original SCI script bugs in over 30 games and added Roland D-110 soundtrack support to these games.

Of course, you can find the comprehensive Release Notes here.

Grab your copy from our downloads page, or, on Windows or macOS, let the automatic updater fetch it for you.

In addition, we will be releasing a new Android port into the Beta Channel and will need your help with testing. That would be great for us to get your feedback at the Android Port subforum.

Time to dive into a nice Interactive Fiction or fry some monsters in Ultima with a Blazing Fire, if you’re a dragon of course.
Alien Grey

Re: ScummVM “Interactive Fantasy” 2.2.0 Sees the Light

Post by Alien Grey »

Thanks to everyone that helped making this new ScummVM release possible. This version seems to run much smoother on Windows 10. :)

I'm glad we could fix a nasty old original bug in Space Quest 6: Roger Wilco in The Spinal Frontier for this new stable release.

I'm sorry I couldn't finish the testing of the game Prince and the Coward, English translation. The text feature seems to be not working 100%. My knowledge of the German language is very limited and that makes it almost impossible for me to finish the game without having to look in a walkthrough. I will get back to this game as soon as the text feature is fully working.

I also hope that in the future a working AGS engine is going to be available in ScummVM. I don't mind if it's just for the older games because there's a lot of good old AGS adventure games that need to be preserved. I'm having a lot fun with the AGS Space Quest fan games but unfortunately these don't run without compatibility issues on Windows 10. :(
invwar

Post by invwar »

Because of your post, I wanted to test the game, long time not played, didn't know it was supported by ScummVM. But the Bug 11677 render testing the english translation useless, when half the text is missing. I am happy to test it when this bug is fixed.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

There's more than enough other games to keep me busy while waiting for this to be fixed.

I'm currently on a Space Quest ... uhm ... quest. :D

Playing every Space Quest game. Started with all official games and now still busy with every fan made game. After that I also plan to play Space Quest 1 and 2 again but this time the EGA versions with ScummVM.