Puzzle randomisation in Fate of Atlantis

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Robot_Maker20

Puzzle randomisation in Fate of Atlantis

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

This has likely been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it: in Indy FoA, there seem two major gameplay branch points: the three "paths" you can freely choose when Sophia reads your fortune after finding the Lost Dialogue of Plato; and the particular location the Dialogue itself can be found in at Barnett college. Whilst the path choice is free, Sophia does appear to deterministically recommend a particular one based on how the player solved the first puzzle in the game (getting into the theatre), and possibly also other key actions taken by the player prior to that point. I can't seem to discern any pattern as to where the Dialogue turns out to be on any given playthough, however.

Can anyone familiar with the game's actual code please confirm, 1) just what are the factors that the game will consider when Sophia makes her recommendation, 2) is the location of the dialogue similarly deterministic (in which case, what are its respective determining factors?), or random (in which case, just when, after starting the game, does the randomisation actually take place and get "locked in?")

Thanks in advance, it's not really important, but I've just wondered this for many years and it's really starting to bug me every time I replay the game!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Puzzle randomisation in Fate of Atlantis

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Sophia's advice seems to be based on how you get past Biff the doorman. I don't have the time to verify, but it seems like if you beat him in a fair fight, Sophia will tell you that "but you are better better with your fists than your head." If you sucker-punch him or you talk your way past him she'll say that "you trust others and want them to trust you". I think the remaining option, "always eager to solve life's deepest puzzles" is if you enter through the other door, thus bypassing Biff completely.

The location of the Lost Dialog of Plato seems to be randomly picked between the Ashkenazy, Dunlop, Pearce, Sprague and Ward collections.

But even though ScummVM can dump the game scripts, and there are tools for turning them into something somewhat readable, it's not always easy to make sense of them. So I could very well be mistaken.
JohnnyW

Re: Puzzle randomisation in Fate of Atlantis

Post by JohnnyW »

I think this is exactly right:

Fight Biff = Fists recommendation
Push crates = Wits recommendation
Talk way past Biff = Team recommendation