ScummVM Music Enhancement Project

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

:?: What do you mean with "I am not even going to bother commenting on your work as I am not going down this route you have taken."

I cannot understand that english very good, so i dont know what you mean
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

FeebleFiles1, please, stop. You're clearly viloating Forum Rule #4. No insults. What is your goal, just to humiliate and dance on other's corpses? If you're so sure that your approach is better, that's great!. Nobody prevents you from continuation of your work. Just do it but let others do the same.

Eugene

PS. Someone, please, translate this into German as here seems to be a language barrier
Last edited by sev on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

FeebleFiles1 wrote::?: What do you mean with "I am not even going to bother commenting on your work as I am not going down this route you have taken."

I cannot understand that english very good, so i dont know what you mean
I think he means that constructive "critics" are something different than just saying "It sounds amateur.

That sounds more like an insult.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Translated/Übersetzt:
sev wrote:FeebleFiles1, bitte hör auf. Du hast ganz klar die Forumsregel #4 verletzt: Keine Beleidigungen. Was ist dein Ziel, zu erniedrigen und auf anderer Leute Arbeit rumzutrampeln? Wenn du so sicher bist, dass dein Ansatz besser ist, schön! Niemand hindert dich deine Werk fortzusetzen. Lass aber bitte Andere das Gleiche tun.
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

Jemand als "Amateur" zu bezeichnen ist keine konstruktive Kritik. Es ist eine Beleidigung. Das einzige was das bewirkt, ist andere zu demotivieren. Wenn Du meinst dass dein Ansatz besser ist, ist das in Ordnung. Lass aber andere ihre Arbeit auf ihre eigene weise machen. Nach meiner Erfahrung ueberarbeiten alle nur ein oder zwei Stuecke, und hoeren danach auf. Glidem hat zumindest saemtliche Simon the Sorcerer Melodien ueberarbeitet, was man von keinem anderen behaupten kann. Ich habe lieber eine volle Sammlung von "amateurhaften" (obwohl ich im Gegensatz zu dir Glidem's Arbeit nicht als amateurhaft bezeichne) lieber als ein einziges Meisterwerk.

English translation:

It is not constructive criticism to call somebody an amateur, it's an insult. The only thing that it will do is to demotivate other people. If you think that you can do it better, do it. But let other people do their work in their own way. From my experience, most people only rework one or two tunes, and then stop. Glidem at least redid the entire musical score of Simon the Sorcer, something that nobody else did. I prefer to have a full collection of "amateur" (although in contrast to you, I do not consider Glidem's work as amateur) music restauration than one single piece of art.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Mein gott könnt ihr mal aufhören ständig mit irgendwelchen regeln daher zu kommen? Es gibt nun mal meinungsfreiheit udn es is keine beleidigung jemanden als armateur zu bezeichnen. was glaubt ihr was bei wwww.homerecording.de alles für bewertungen kommen. wenn ich was bewerte dann schon so wie ich es finde und nicht so wie ich es finden könnte dann müsst ich ja lügen. ich bin einfach ein ehrlicher und direkter mensch.

The word amateur has at least two connotations. In the first, more widely used manner, it means someone performing some task without pay, in contrast to a "professional" who would be paid for the same task.

Ich werde für meine Arbeit halt bezahlt und verdiene damit mein brot, das heißt aber noch lange nicht nur weil man jemanden als armateur bezeichnnet das es was schlechtes ist, nur gibt es halt stellen in den liedern die sich von profis absplitten, aber warum der ganze ärger wegen der wahrheit? ich war früher immer für so ne kritik dankbar da man damit mehr anfangen kann wie nur mit posiviter kritik, man wird besser je mehr kritiken man bekommt. klar ich selber bin auch nicht perfekt, man darf sich das alles nicht zu herzen nehmen. Also falls ich jemanden weh getan habe, entschuldigung aber die wahrheit is manchmal halt sehr hat

I am sorry if i someone here by feel hurts, but the truth is really hard, and i am speaking of own experience
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

FeebleFiles1 wrote: The word amateur has at least two connotations. In the first, more widely used manner, it means someone performing some task without pay, in contrast to a "professional" who would be paid for the same task.
FeebleFiles1 wrote:I hope your Music will be also good, but it sounds a little bit amateur.
So, really, you're saying that his music sounds like he isn't being paid to make it? :roll:
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:Mein gott könnt ihr mal aufhören ständig mit irgendwelchen regeln daher zu kommen? Es gibt nun mal meinungsfreiheit udn es is keine beleidigung jemanden als armateur zu bezeichnen. was glaubt ihr was bei wwww.homerecording.de alles für bewertungen kommen. wenn ich was bewerte dann schon so wie ich es finde und nicht so wie ich es finden könnte dann müsst ich ja lügen. ich bin einfach ein ehrlicher und direkter mensch.
These are English speaking forums. We just provided a German translation to be sure that you understood what we are saying. If you insist on saying something in German, please also add a rough translation into English.

Rough translation for those who do not speak German:
For god's sake, can you stop coming up with rules? We have the freedom of speech, and it's not an insult to call somebody and amateur. What kind of reviews do you think people get at www.homerecording.de? When I give a review, I state what I really think, not what I would like to hear if I were the person receiving the review. I'd have to lie otherwise. I just happen to be an honest and direct person.
Well, there's a difference if somebody calls himself an amateur, or if one amateur calls another one by that term. But it generally is an insult for a professional to call somebody else an amateur since it is nearly always meant in a pejorative way. And in your specific case, you also called the music quality amateur, which definitely is an insult.

If you don't like his work, just don't say anything. I do not know what homerecording.de is, but that is not who we are.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Why should i lie? Its better to the the truth, then the false. But if you are paying for something as i you got money for your studio and so you can buy some better instruments that is that what i mean.

AND PLEASE STOP SAYING SUCH THINGS THAT AN AMATEUR IS SO BAD AS ALL HERE WHERE SAYING!!!!

I was self an armateur and i am glady to have some critic i was self named as amateur. accept it. critic should be true and fast, thats the way to the goal
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:Ich werde für meine Arbeit halt bezahlt und verdiene damit mein brot, das heißt aber noch lange nicht nur weil man jemanden als armateur bezeichnnet das es was schlechtes ist, nur gibt es halt stellen in den liedern die sich von profis absplitten, aber warum der ganze ärger wegen der wahrheit? ich war früher immer für so ne kritik dankbar da man damit mehr anfangen kann wie nur mit posiviter kritik, man wird besser je mehr kritiken man bekommt. klar ich selber bin auch nicht perfekt, man darf sich das alles nicht zu herzen nehmen. Also falls ich jemanden weh getan habe, entschuldigung aber die wahrheit is manchmal halt sehr hat
I'm not going to bother translating all again. Please provide your translations into English yourself.

Constructive criticism is indeed a good thing. And it is needed in order to learn. The problem is that you never made any constructive criticism. You never said what could be improved. All you said is that it's "amateur". I don't see any way in which that can be understood as constructive criticism, and how a person can learn from mistakes that way.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:Es gibt nun mal meinungsfreiheit udn es is keine beleidigung jemanden als armateur zu bezeichnen. was glaubt ihr was bei wwww.homerecording.de alles für bewertungen kommen. wenn ich was bewerte dann schon so wie ich es finde und nicht so wie ich es finden könnte dann müsst ich ja lügen. ich bin einfach ein ehrlicher und direkter mensch.
Es gibt einen Unterschied zwischen ehrlich kritisieren und beleidigen. Deine Kommentare waren Letzteres.
Jedenfalls klingen IMHO glidem's Stücke besser und "professioneller" als deine. Einige Teile deines Stückes waren zu laut/übersteuert (das klingt dann verzerrt), das Schlagzeug klang teileweise zu falsch, etc.. Das ganze lässt _dein_ Stück amateurhaft klingen.

There's a line between honest criticism and insults. You've crossed it.
Anyway, IMHO, glidem's track sound better and more "professional" than yours. There are several parts in your track that were too loud/overdriven (therefore sounding distorted), some of the drums sounded too fake, etc. that makes _your_ track sound amateurish.
Nightkin

Post by Nightkin »

Wenn "Pille" dann vielleicht so nett wäre und den letzten Post von glidem für mich übersetzen könnte, den hab ich nämlich auch nicht verstanden :oops:

It would be nice if McCoy could translate glidems last post into german for me. My englisch skills seem to be too low.... :oops:
Last edited by Nightkin on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Es gibt einen Unterschied zwischen ehrlich kritisieren und beleidigen. Deine Kommentare waren Letzteres.
Jedenfalls klingen IMHO glidem's Stücke besser und "professioneller" als deine. Einige Teile deines Stückes waren zu laut/übersteuert (das klingt dann verzerrt), das Schlagzeug klang teileweise zu falsch, etc.. Das ganze lässt _dein_ Stück amateurhaft klingen.
sowas hab ich nie behauptet wenn dann zeig mir den beweis, das is eine totale lüge wirklcih lächerlich ich hab nicht gesagt was mir daran genau nicht gefältl also bitte unterlasse das. ich sag sowas wirklich nicht
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:sowas hab ich nie behauptet wenn dann zeig mir den beweis, das is eine totale lüge wirklcih lächerlich ich hab nicht gesagt was mir daran genau nicht gefältl also bitte unterlasse das. ich sag sowas wirklich nicht
Könntest du das bitte nach Deutsch oder Englisch übersetzen?

Could you please translate that into either German or English?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

moderatorial: any following non-English posts will be silently removed