The Prince and the Coward gets English translation

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

The Prince and the Coward gets English translation

Post by sev »

After six months of work and the effort of 7 contributors, we are finally happy to announce that we have finished the first version of the English translation for The Prince and the Coward or Książę i Tchórz. 2,762 script lines with 19,735 words were processed, reviewed and translated.

It is not yet perfect, though, and we need your help, fellow adventurers! ScummVM versions 2.1.x will work, however, there is a problem with displaying inventory item descriptions. Thus, we recommend using the daily build.

You need to download the prince_translation.dat file from here and put it into the ALL/ directory of your game. Then re-detect the game, and make sure it shows ‘w/translation’ in the game description. Only Polish or German game versions can be translated this way, the Russian version requires more effort.

If you encounter any continuity issues, awkward phrases, or typos, feel free to either mention it in this forum post or submit your improvements directly to the translation server. Use the search capabilities to locate the phrases you would like to improve. Screenshots of the problem or savegames are also welcome if you don’t want to bother with the translation server.

Good luck with your adventures, while most of you still stay at home!
DirkPitt1

Re: The Prince and the Coward gets English translation

Post by DirkPitt1 »

"ScummVM versions 2.1.x will work, however, there is a problem with displaying inventory item descriptions. Thus, we recommend using the daily build."

There's a bug in daily builds that doesn't occur in 2.1.x versions. When using daily build with Polish (I dont know if it occurs in German or Russian) game version (with or without English translation) using Obejrzyj/Examine command causes looping player character's speech animation. Using the command is neccessary in at least one place so the game can't be completed on daily builds right now. I described this problem further here https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11429
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

DirkPitt1 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:05 am "ScummVM versions 2.1.x will work, however, there is a problem with displaying inventory item descriptions. Thus, we recommend using the daily build."

There's a bug in daily builds that doesn't occur in 2.1.x versions. When using daily build with Polish (I dont know if it occurs in German or Russian) game version (with or without English translation) using Obejrzyj/Examine command causes looping player character's speech animation. Using the command is neccessary in at least one place so the game can't be completed on daily builds right now. I described this problem further here https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11429
Yeah it's in the German version, too as I have pointed out here: viewtopic.php?p=88354#p88354
hugo

Post by hugo »

DirkPitt1 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:05 am "ScummVM versions 2.1.x will work, however, there is a problem with displaying inventory item descriptions. Thus, we recommend using the daily build."
Is there a detail specification for this problem. I did finished the Polish version of Galador - Prince and the Coward recently (using 2.1.2), but did not encountered in such problem. Should I provide MD5 checksum of the game files. I did copied these files directly from the CD not from install folder if this might be of any help.

Only problematic part I encountered (uncertain whether it is a but or not) was the monks belt. The timing of this was nearly impossible. Which from my point of view would be nice to improve somehow.
DirkPitt1

Post by DirkPitt1 »

hugo wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:27 pm
Is there a detail specification for this problem. I did finished the Polish version of Galador - Prince and the Coward recently (using 2.1.2), but did not encountered in such problem.
I don't know if there's any problem with displaying inventory in 2.1.x versions but they recommend using daily builds. Unfortunately you can't complete the game on daily builds right now, because of a bug that doesn't occur in 2.1.x versions.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Ok, will test it further on.

But as I wrote Earlier to the presence of inventory bug, did not encountered, so I was wondering if it is matter of scummvm engine or difference between versions of the game (if applicable).
dariwonka

Post by dariwonka »

It just crashes at the very beginning.

If you look at the digger, the guy talk and continues moving the mouth and you cannot continue.

Using the latest nightly scummvm
hugo

Post by hugo »

dariwonka wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 pm It just crashes at the very beginning.

If you look at the digger, the guy talk and continues moving the mouth and you cannot continue.

Using the latest nightly scummvm
Aye! Thats the matter of the error of pre 2.2.0 nightly builds. However I did not manage head or tail from the logs on degub-level=10 nor the source code on github. The parts of Prince engine where the error seems to be produced does not look much different between 212 and pre220 (OK some lines had been switched for better degubbing) and namespace for flags is used, but...

I do have some idea, that change has been made iun the Scumm adventure engine generic core that produces this hangup. The log with high enough debug level does show following clues: while the animation is played in (visibly in loop) the Scumm is searching frantically for additional voice lines (while at the beggining of animation voice line xxx1 had been played, instead of ending it as there is no additional voice line the engine tries to load voice line xxx2 instead, fails and continues in loop incrementing the voice line number and tries to load additional - which does not exist.
Changes in src I went through does not show why this crazy hang up should be present (thus I suppose the problem is hidden in different part of the Scumm engine deeper than prince.engine is...)