Is Myst ME the best 2D Myst?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

R4Zi3L

Is Myst ME the best 2D Myst?

Post by R4Zi3L »

I have 3 versions of original Windows Myst (1.0.1, 1.0.2 from 1994 and 1.3 from 1996)
I have seen some YT video that first PC version was lacking in animation and sounds compared to the Mac original.
Is Masterpiece Edition the best (not counting higher color) or are there still some errors?
RyanFialcowitz

Re: Is Myst ME the best 2D Myst?

Post by RyanFialcowitz »

R4Zi3L wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:27 pm I have 3 versions of original Windows Myst (1.0.1, 1.0.2 from 1994 and 1.3 from 1996)
I have seen some YT video that first PC version was lacking in animation and sounds compared to the Mac original.
Is Masterpiece Edition the best (not counting higher color) or are there still some errors?
To my knowledge, there are four primary versions of Myst:
Myst
Myst Masterpiece Edition
realMyst
realMyst Masterpiece Edition

So, yes as far as the "original" Myst goes- Masterpiece would be the one with the most content. Although both versions of realMyst, among other things, feature an additional Age. . .
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've not heard before that the original Windows version of Myst was lacking content that the original Mac version had. So I don't know if Myst ME re-adds all that or not. I originally thought it just used the original assets in 16-bit colour instead of 8-bit. Now I'm curious...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I did the initial work on this for the Mohawk Myst engine. I did a quick check of my notes. Myst ME has no additional slides in it's datafiles compared to the older Windows 3.1 / WIN16 version based on Mohawk. The main changes are the addition of the Help System slides, upgrading of image resources to JPEG / 24 bit colour, I think there _might_ be an extra image in Channelwood to overlay the original image which had a mistake in one of the clue letters. I can't say if any Hypercard or Mac version has any differences.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm... I might be wrong here. I'm not sure my notes covered the original Windows 3.1 version of the datafiles... so not sure if something is lurking :)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

If you wonder about the overlay, compare resources #2034 and #2036 in the CHANNELWOOD.DAT Mohawk archive file of Myst ME.