Zak McKracken VGA Talkie?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

IndigoHD

Zak McKracken VGA Talkie?

Post by IndigoHD »

I have seen the VGA version of Zack McKracken on GOG and couldnt resist.
Downloaded it and added it to ScummVM right away.

The version with VGA graphics is called "FM Towns" but there is no sound when he speaks.
Did i do something wrong?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Zak McKracken VGA Talkie?

Post by Raziel »

I do have the FM-Towns version myself.
There is no speech.

I don't think i've ever seen Zak with speech, not sure if they ever produced one either.
almeath

Post by almeath »

There was never a version of this game with speech. The 2015 GOG release includes the original DOS version in EGA and also the 1991 FM Towns version with VGA graphics and “higher-quality music and sound effects”.

If I remember correctly, the first LucasArts games with full voice overs were released in 1993 - Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and also Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

The only LucasArts FM Towns release supporting voice was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

On GOG, in the language table, there is an x at audio and a ✓ at text. So why would one expect voice acting anyway?
almeath

Post by almeath »

Perhaps it is just a misunderstanding based on the fact that the original LucasArts FM Towns games were released on CD media, and around the same time LucasArts began porting its adventure games to CD-ROM as talkies for PC. So for those unfamiliar with the history of FM Towns, it might lead to confusion, expecting that the FM Towns games would be talkies like their PC equivalents.

And yes, I know there are some exceptions, like the PC CD release of Monkey Island 1 with enhanced music but no voice, and the above mentioned Fate of Atlantis for FM Towns with voice.