Higher quality music in CMI?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SirYodaJedi

Higher quality music in CMI?

Post by SirYodaJedi »

So apparently there is an unreleased studio-quality soundtrack for Curse of Monkey Island floating around the web, and it made me wonder: can this be put back into the game using ScummVM? I know that similar projects have been completed for BaSS and IHNMaIMS, but I'm not familiar enough with how music is stored in late SCUMM titles to know if it even is possible for CMI (is iMUSE as dynamic as in the General MIDI titles?). Obviously cutscenes would be more difficult due to the hardmixed dialogue, but could the 24-bit/44.1 kHz BGM tracks be used in a FLAC/OGG compressed .bun?
Kasenshlogga

Re: Higher quality music in CMI?

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Are you sure that's the CD quality version? The track names look like the old game rip to me. The CD quality version can be found on mixnmojo as lossless FLAC files.

I think using those in the game would require heavy editing (or even borrowing parts from the ripped soundtrack) because a lot of the tracks fade into each other on the CD quality version, meaning you hear a few seconds of the previous track on the beginning of each track, or the start of the next track at the end.
SirYodaJedi

Re: Higher quality music in CMI?

Post by SirYodaJedi »

Kasenshlogga wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm Are you sure that's the CD quality version? The track names look like the old game rip to me. The CD quality version can be found on mixnmojo as lossless FLAC files.
There's a link to the FLACs on mixnmojo lower down. I don't actually know where the link to the FLACs is on the mixnmojo website.
I think using those in the game would require heavy editing (or even borrowing parts from the ripped soundtrack) because a lot of the tracks fade into each other on the CD quality version, meaning you hear a few seconds of the previous track on the beginning of each track, or the start of the next track at the end.
Hm, interesting. I'm still trying to figure out how to rip plain unadulterated WAVs from the game to play around with (especially since I don't know squat of C++), but I'll definitely look into it further (even if I'm far from a professional audio editor).