Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

Post by Praetorian »

er453r wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:16 pm Nice! Thanks for the answers. One more thing - when starting ScummVM from the command line, I've left the console opened and played in a window - something like a "directors commentary" started printing live in the console, depending on what was happening in the game. What a cool feature! Is this embedded in the original game files? Is this from the original developers? Is there some planned form of presenting this commentary in the game?
As far as we know (and pending confirmation from the creators) the text is remnant of some plan for developers' commentary or was only intended to be in the first scene perhaps for a press preview copy of the game.
It is part of the original game, yes and it's only for that scene outside Runciter's. There is also 3 audio commentary tracks about 3 different locations in the game (Howie Lee's, Hawker's Circle, McCoy's Apartment) which will probably be restored in some form in the Restored Content version.
There is no current plan to somehow display the text from the Runciter's scene, but that does not mean it won't happen eventually.
er453r

Post by er453r »

Thanks for clarifying that.

I've just tested with the newest daily build, and can confirm that graphic filters do work - I've just did not notice that earlier since the difference in graphics is minimal, but they do work.
0xnoob

Post by 0xnoob »

Hello,

I'm new to ScummVM and never played Blade Runner before.

I was wondering how good the controls are on Android?
In later stages of the game, is it still pleasant to play on mobile with the small screen (5" in my case) and the delay because of the touchscreen, or will e.g. fights become to complicated or something else like the user interface or text too small and become frustrating?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

0xnoob wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm Hello,

I'm new to ScummVM and never played Blade Runner before.

I was wondering how good the controls are on Android?
In later stages of the game, is it still pleasant to play on mobile with the small screen (5" in my case) and the delay because of the touchscreen, or will e.g. fights become to complicated or something else like the user interface or text too small and become frustrating?
I can't think of any issues that will prevent progress for the game in the later stages.

A 5" screen should be fine; smaller would be a stretch for reading stuff. You should be able to read the KIA text (clues, suspects, items). The KIA font size is the smallest font in the game (and quite small in general since it is 6pt). One or two game items require a bit of pixel hunting to pick up, so they might be hard to spot, but they're not required for game progress.

I am using the "touchpad mouse " control mode, (which works like a touchpad) because that's more intuitive to me.

There are sections that require shooting enemies but those never get too hard in my opinion -- plus most of the time you have the option to just run away/ flee and that's the best way to deal with certain enemies.

Of course, save often.
Hetikefnik

Post by Hetikefnik »

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so I can find the code in the game so I can correct a map bug?

Cheers :D
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hetikefnik wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 am Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so I can find the code in the game so I can correct a map bug?

Cheers :D
Hello,

Which map are you referring to and what is the bug? Maybe it's something that we could look into.
Hetikefnik

Post by Hetikefnik »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 am
Hello,

Which map are you referring to and what is the bug? Maybe it's something that we could look into.
I cant seem to be able to find the Tyrell Building after Act2 when I enter the Spinner. It only displays the original four buildings found at the start of the game. Am I just being a noob and havent played the game right or is there something wrong.

Thanks for the reply!
Hetikefnik

Post by Hetikefnik »

Hetikefnik wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 am
Praetorian wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 am
Hello,

I cant seem to be able to find the Tyrell Building after Act2 when I enter the Spinner. It only displays the original four buildings found at the start of the game. Am I just being a noob and havent played the game right or is there something wrong.

Thanks for the reply!
Hey everyone I deleted everything and reinstalled the exe version of ScummVM windows and I have the Tyrell Corp showing up.

Possibly a wrong file path with the Zip donwload?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hetikefnik wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:38 am Hey everyone I deleted everything and reinstalled the exe version of ScummVM windows and I have the Tyrell Corp showing up.

Possibly a wrong file path with the Zip donwload?
I am not sure what you mean by "exe version" and "zip download".
I'm glad you got it solved, but it does sound like some sort of bug. If you had a save game from the bad state you could attach it to a bug report and we could investigate the issue.
gamin

Post by gamin »

Hello all,

Great to play Blade Runner again. For what I've tested right now, emulation seems to be running fine.

Question : using the SUBTITLES.MIX extra file provided by the team, I've been able to turn on subtitles ingame. Now, is there any way to get french subtitles while running english version of the game ? Tried to change language=en to language=fr in SCUMMVM.INI, but it crashes the game at launch. Also tried to change lang_English to lang_French in the guioptions line, but no effect.

Maybe it's just not possible ?

Any help appreciated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

gamin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 am Maybe it's just not possible ?

Any help appreciated.
This is correct. It is currently not possible to mix and match subtitles.
You can't have the French subtitles in the English version or any other version except the official French one, currently.
So, the French Blade Runner version will have French audio with French subtitles using our SUBTITLES.MIX file. All the other versions will have English subtitles, for now.

Mix and match for subtitles is something that may be implemented in the future.
gamin

Post by gamin »

Thanks for this explanation.

Fingers crossed for future implementation (always been original versions lover, even if I'm a french person).
Hacha_dorada

Post by Hacha_dorada »

Hi all. I am one of the admins of a very old Spanish-speaking community of classic games lovers (www.cuevadeclasicos.org). We have been talking about the Blade Runner game recently and confirmed the Spanish version of the game works well in ScummVM, as far as we have been able to see. We are now trying to come up with a package for the game in which to freely replace the different language files to be able to play the game either in Spanish or the original English. I've tried to do this but even when the game starts, it breaks down after the title cutscene, so I'm guessing that there is something between versions that is incompatible with the other.
On the other hand, we are willing to know whether we could somehow help preparing a translation of the subtitle files to Spanish. Is there a way to collaborate with that? That would help our non-English speakers to play the original version of the game.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hacha_dorada wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 amWe are now trying to come up with a package for the game in which to freely replace the different language files to be able to play the game either in Spanish or the original English. I've tried to do this but even when the game starts, it breaks down after the title cutscene, so I'm guessing that there is something between versions that is incompatible with the other.
I am not exactly sure what you attempted to do. Did you want to create a version of the game that would have dual audio, as in somehow combining files (switching/replacing on-demand) from the two separate versions of the game? Was this supposed to work on-the-fly while playing the game or just at launch?
On the other hand, we are willing to know whether we could somehow help preparing a translation of the subtitle files to Spanish. Is there a way to collaborate with that? That would help our non-English speakers to play the original version of the game.
We are depending on the community to contribute for the subtitles, so I could help you with the process (but not the actual transcription as I don't speak the language). You can find me on the discord server to discuss the details.
https://discord.gg/4cDsMNtcpG
Hacha_dorada

Post by Hacha_dorada »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 am I am not exactly sure what you attempted to do. Did you want to create a version of the game that would have dual audio, as in somehow combining files (switching/replacing on-demand) from the two separate versions of the game? Was this supposed to work on-the-fly while playing the game or just at launch?
What I wanted to do is to be able to swap the .TLK files before executing the game in order to run the game in the desired language, without the need of having every complete version. I think this works (and the files are not very heavy, so it would be easy to have both SPA and ENG sets), but what does not work is swapping the cut scenes .MIX files. It seems there is one of them that differs through versions, which is the one at the start with the text prologue (OUTTAKE1.MIX). If I swap this specific .MIX file, the game crashes after the title, before getting to the prologue - if I replace all TLK files and keep this MIX file, the game runs well with voices in Spanish AFAIK, but the prologue of course remains in English. So I guess it is possible to swap the talkie files, with the only problem remaining being any text on screen like in the prologue remaining in the original language.
Praetorian wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 am We are depending on the community to contribute for the subtitles, so I could help you with the process (but not the actual transcription as I don't speak the language). You can find me on the discord server to discuss the details.
https://discord.gg/4cDsMNtcpG
Awesome, I will find you there and see how we can help. We've been known for creating the Spanish fansubs for the TOMI series that were downloaded zillions of times :)