Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AdamBeGood

Re: Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

Post by AdamBeGood »

Hi,

Is there any way of getting this to work on 2.0.0?

I am running ScummVM on Raspian on a Raspberry Pi, I have all my adventure games on there.

My copy of Blade Runner does work on my PC (I have it set up as per the instructions in this thread), but I am running a later version on that. However, it'd be nice to play it on my Pi, and there doesn't seem to be the later version available.

Thanks,
Adam
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

You're asking us to time travel. No, we cannot come back to 2017 and add Blade Runner there :)

The better way would be to get 2.1.1 or your Raspberry Pi. You could try, for instance, snap packages from our website in the downloads section.

Eugene
AdamBeGood

Post by AdamBeGood »

sev wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm You're asking us to time travel. No, we cannot come back to 2017 and add Blade Runner there :)

The better way would be to get 2.1.1 or your Raspberry Pi. You could try, for instance, snap packages from our website in the downloads section.

Eugene
Fair enough! I don't want you to time travel... 2017 was better than 2020 though.

I'll have a look at snap packages, although I imagine I will struggle. I should just play it on my PC really.

You are doing amazing work - thank you!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

AdamBeGood wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:03 pm
sev wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm You're asking us to time travel. No, we cannot come back to 2017 and add Blade Runner there :)

Eugene
Fair enough! I don't want you to time travel... 2017 was better than 2020 though.

I'll have a look at snap packages, although I imagine I will struggle. I should just play it on my PC really.

You are doing amazing work - thank you!
A few months ago I managed to do a successful cross-compilation of ScummVM 2.1.1 (and 2.2git) for my RPi 3 with Raspbian OS (3.2). The cross compilation was done on a Ubuntu 16.04, but it should also work for the recent 20.04.
I updated the instructions here:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Comp ... cummVM/RPI

And also I made a Docker image using a different toolchain here:
https://github.com/antoniou79/scummvm-r ... Dockerfile

I had written about this in another thread:
f you are using a Raspberry Pi 2 or newer (which adopt the ARM7 architecture) then a more straightforward way to setup the building environment on your host PC (running a Debian based Linux distro) can be shown in this Dockerfile:
https://github.com/antoniou79/scummvm-r ... Dockerfile

Basically, the method shown in the Dockerfile skips the steps of installing on the Raspbian and then copying over from the Raspbian OS SD Card, the headers and the developer libraries to the host PC. Instead, it uses the Debian packages for the armhf architecture for the toolchain and libraries.
viewtopic.php?p=88570#p88570

I did try the snap package, but it was buggy on my RPi at the time. The more prominent issue that I recall was with pulseaudio conflicts which resulted in noisy audio. I also do recall several warnings being printed out on the console while launching ScummVM but I don't think I have kept a log of those. These issue may have been resolved in the latest Raspbian and snap package for all I know.
AdamBeGood

Post by AdamBeGood »

Wow! Thanks for the in-depth reply.

I am currently seeing if the Snap version has improved at all, but have met problems even getting that to run: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/trouble-wi ... an/19254/6

I had a quick look at your guides and I think they are definitely beyond my knowledge at this point. Once I've tried the Snap version of 2.1.2, then I will try to read up and go the compilation route. There are many things I don't understand at this point though.

Edit: I eventually got the 2.1.2 Snap to work, by installing PulseAudio - but the sound does not work at all (well, it does but it just sounds like someone passing wind at a very rapid rate). It basically sounds like the issues you had, Praetorian.

So I've gone back to 2.0.0 and will just do without Blade Runner until they update the "sudo apt upgrade" version, or I work out how to compile my own version.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Just a word guys to tell you to keep up the good (awesome) work your doing on this classic
Probably the best vintage point & click ever made (gold medal) along all lucasart gems.

thanks you SO much for your knowledge/skill & time.

Best Regards to you all.

Mark
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@MarkAmiga500

Blade Runner is a Westwood/Virgin Interactive release, though.
No LucasArts involved...
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Well it looks like the official "Enhanced Edition" is quite a desaster. :lol:
invwar

Post by invwar »

Was anyone expecting anything else? It looks like they did exactly what was expected they can do. Background upscaling is really not a job for the Newbie Dev. and looks like that this was what Nightdive did after they realized its too hard to do.