ScummVM game creation studio?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Then why would the team need Chris Jones? He surely has enough work with AGS itself.
One way could be to reimplement AGS, but not by using the compiled files , instead make an engine/compiler that uses the same input files like AGS so it would be a matter of "simply" converting these files to the formats used by the new engine. But why?
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Again I stress that pointing to the FAQ also reviels that he has nothing against open source, even loves it, but does not want someone to rip his product, claim ownership and sell it or whatever. That point was made very clear in the FAQ as well.
Q. Then can I have the source code, to port it myself?
A. Sorry, AGS is not open-source. There are many reasons for this which I will not go into here. The main two are:
(1) I made another application open-source in the past, and someone took it, changed the copyright and tried to release it as their own
(2) The AGS file formats are proprietary to make it harder for people to "hack" other people's games. If the source code was available, it would be easy for someone to write some sort of de-compiler for use with other peoples games.

Q. But the GPL will protect you... go on, can I have the source?
A. No it won't. In theory it does, but what happens when someone goes and breaches it? I don't have the time or energy to waste chasing up lamers who have blatantly ignored the license agreement. Sorry.
So making his AGS open source is not in question, and isn't the question. I find point 2 more important: "The AGS file formats are proprietary to make it harder for people to "hack" other people's games."
Threepwood

Post by Threepwood »

Look here
http://mindbender.sourceforge.net/

its not scumm, but its portable
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

that is cool