HE72 version?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

puttputtforever

HE72 version?

Post by puttputtforever »

The compatibility page for Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo says, "Minor graphical glitches when meeting Kenya in HE72 version"
  • How do I tell if a given version of that game is the HE72 version?
  • I own the Steam version of that game. It has the datafiles that end in .HE0 through .HE4. Is that release of the game the HE72 version?
  • How is the HE72 version different from other versions of that game, besides from a compatibility standpoint?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: HE72 version?

Post by digitall »

To answer your queries:
How do I tell if a given version of that game is the HE72 version?

The detection entry should have a "HE 72" suffix in brackets if this is a HE72 variant. If there is no suffix, this is the most common HE73 version. See:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... les.h#L316

I own the Steam version of that game. It has the datafiles that end in .HE0 through .HE4. Is that release of the game the HE72 version?

I have no idea what version the Steam release is, but again, the detector of the SCUMM HE engine should indicate that as above on detection / in the launcher game list of ScummVM

How is the HE72 version different from other versions of that game, besides from a compatibility standpoint?

The v7.2 refers the internal engine script revision. I have no specific information here, but there is a reason the most common version is v7.3 ... i.e. they fixed bugs in the scripts. See:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... es_the_Zoo
puttputtforever

Re: HE72 version?

Post by puttputtforever »

Thank you for the thorough response. That perfectly addresses my concerns. I appreciate that you covered each part of my post and provided links. For others in the future: My Steam copy did not have "HE 72" in brackets; it did not have anything in brackets.