Apöns Hemlighet - Swedish translation of The Secret of Monkey Island

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thanius

Apöns Hemlighet - Swedish translation of The Secret of Monkey Island

Post by thanius »

Hello!

I just wanted to inform everyone that I've recently released the last beta version of my swedish translation of The Secret of Monkey Island.
You need the CD version (obtainable from GOG/Special Edition) and patch the data files using an IPS patcher.

The game's text, graphics and verb grid have all been translated and the game is 100% playable from start to finish entirely in swedish.

So download the patch, read the README, patch the game and enjoy!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=731 ... 8051671779
Lillesvamp

Re: Apöns Hemlighet - Swedish translation of The Secret of Monkey Island

Post by Lillesvamp »

Bra jobbat!

Now I can try to make my non-English speaking nieces play this!
zeekm

Post by zeekm »

This is great. I did talk to a guy, I think he was from this forum, but many years ago. He said he was going to help to create a soundfile for the game, he did export the audio (only speech) from the game, we were a few people who recorded new voices (swedish), sent it to the guy, but we never got anything back. Thats kind of sad, cause there is so many who does not know english so well or do just want to play it in another language. I don't know what program or how he did extract the sound or how he could "join" the recordings back again so it works. I sadly don't have any of that material that we recorded.

Great job with the translation btw!

I wonder if its possible to translate more game.
borges

Post by borges »

Amazing job!

I noticed you listed 3 bugs. You're right about the first one: it looks like the graphics converter changed the colour number of half of the lights to a different colour number that had the same RGB value. I temporarily changed the palette so that those lights' colour had a unique RGB value, exported the image, restored the lights from the original, imported the image, and then restored the original palette. The lights cut into your text, so it might need some cleaning up.

The second bug is a problem with the CD version, not with your translation. The background colour of the warning at the mansion (as well as some stars) has an RGB value of 252, 252, 252. This worked in the VGA version, but the CD version ignores values over 251 and it just uses the colour from the previous room. When you walk there it's not so bad since it's blue, but when you jump there from the kitchen it's red. I just changed it to 251, 251, 251. Also the top text uses the verb colour which is different than it was in the EGA and VGA versions. I found an unused colour, set it to the VGA version's green, and used that colour instead.

Finally, I didn't notice the bug with the intro. Perhaps it's fixed in ScummVM.

Great job and have a Happy New Year.
Attachments
MONKEYCD_SWE_2020.zip
BPS patches with 2 bug fixes for the Swedish translation of The Secret of Monkey Island CD
(236.99 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
MrBunker

Post by MrBunker »

This is amazing! The download-link does not seem to work anymore. Can anyone upload?