Verb positions in Scumm v5

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sushi

Verb positions in Scumm v5

Post by Sushi »

Hi,

I have translated the text and images of The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA CD version) in Dutch.

I am still facing an issue with the length of the verbs (See picture). As you can see, the last letter of "Gebruik" is partially behind the inventory scroll image (moves to foreground when hovered over, but still - it is ugly)
Does anyone know how I can swap the positions of the verbs "Gebruik'("Use") and "Neem"("Pick up")? I think it could be done with SO_VERB_AT, but I don't know what tools I can use to decompile/recompile or which hex to modify to obtain this. Or perhaps there is another way to achieve this.

Last edited by Sushi on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Verb positions in Scumm v5

Post by Raziel »

Not sure if it's possible, but wouldn't it be simpler to reduce the verb font size?
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

That's a good idea. If only I knew how to get scummrp and scummfont working :?

I have experimented in the meantime by starting from the Swedish patch, which is based on the German version in which the verbs "Pick up" and "Use" are already swapped. So far so good, but also some others are swapped so it is even worse in terms of clipping and overlapping.
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

Update: I managed to swap the verb positions (thanks to Thanius!!) with the added bonus of being able to remap the verb keyboard shortcuts
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

The result