Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie EGA?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elvisish

Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie EGA?

Post by elvisish »

Is it possible to use Ultimate Talkie with the 16-color ega version of MI?
almeath

Re: Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie EGA?

Post by almeath »

elvisish wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 pm Is it possible to use Ultimate Talkie with the 16-color ega version of MI?
It is unlikely, because the UT edition website lists the following requirement: "A VGA compatible graphics card for the DOS version".

Also, I think the UT builder would be looking for data files that came with the VGA versions of the game (i.e. MONKEY.00 & MONKEY.001). The EGA version uses a different data structure (i.e. .LEC & .LFL files).
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

almeath wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 am
elvisish wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 pm Is it possible to use Ultimate Talkie with the 16-color ega version of MI?
It is unlikely, because the UT edition website lists the following requirement: "A VGA compatible graphics card for the DOS version".

Also, I think the UT builder would be looking for data files that came with the VGA versions of the game (i.e. MONKEY.00 & MONKEY.001). The EGA version uses a different data structure (i.e. .LEC & .LFL files).
I'm sure you're right, it would nice if it could be hacked to use graphic resources from EGA though (it mentions something about bug fixes in EGA version in the UT documents)
almeath

Post by almeath »

I'm sure you're right, it would nice if it could be hacked to use graphic resources from EGA though (it mentions something about bug fixes in EGA version in the UT documents)
I had UT setup to use Roland music. I removed the monkey.001 file and the game would not start up. I then dropped the LFL and LEC files from the EGA version into the game directory. This time it would run, but with Adlib music and no voice overs. This indicated that ScummVM was just running the standard EGA version off the LEC and LFL files.

I dropped the same directory into DOSBox and it refused to run, stating it could not find the monkey.001 file. I dropped that file back in and it ran normally with VGA graphics and Roland music.

So that pretty much confirms that there is no way to do this unless there was a hack to inject the EGA graphics into the monkey.001 file. UT does not alter your original (VGA release) game files and it gets everything else it needs from the Special Edition installation.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

@LogicDeLuxe interested in a hack? :D
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

It could be relatively easy to export all the EGA resources, save them as VGA, and use them to replace the resources in the VGA version.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

OmerMor wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:39 pm It could be relatively easy to export all the EGA resources, save them as VGA, and use them to replace the resources in the VGA version.
Would that involve modding the ultimate talkie script to implement the ega resources?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

What would happen on colour-cycled screens/sprites?