GO GO ScummVM - AGI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DarkSoul

GO GO ScummVM - AGI

Post by DarkSoul »

Wow, its a damn good week for the AGI engine. First someone improves NAGI with mouse support, giving it that little extra touch it needed to make it complete for me and now ScummVM is going to complete Sarien's work. NAGI is good, but it misses alot of the extra features that ScummVM offers, like the graphics options, and aspect ratio etc etc. Also NAGI was very Win32 selfish, in kinda the similar way that FreeSCI is linux selfish. So big thumbs up, and I have my space quest and king quest games ready and waiting when you want testing :D
Collector

Post by Collector »

The older version of NAGI already had mouse support.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Only if the game in question had it, in otherwards the amiga versions of the games. The dos versions of the AGI Sierra games didn't originally have mouse support.

On a side note, been testing the new SVN build with my Space Quest AGI games (0,1,2 and LC). Fullscreen works, graphics seems fine, sounds work great. Amiga-ish colours are used, and look great. Mouse support is working, but the big standard ScummVM cursor is a little big in fullscreen. But considering that is the only fault I've found, what impressive speed in functionalilty. And if you haven't noticed, I also said Space Quest 0 and Lost Chapter worked, so the fan games (i've tested) work too. Excellient work. Thats added a large pool of games to your already impressive supported list :D

EDIT: Spotted a bug, crashes on exit when launched from command line using -c or --savepath.
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Ohhh baby...I can't wait to play AGI games full screen with nice graphics options. I had been 'pestering' the Sarion devs to add HQ and Super2xSaI filters for a long time...I guess my dream will come true, just not how I expected.

DarkSoul, is it possible to add AGI games via the GUI or can you only launch the AGI games via the CLI?
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

I can launch them with both the GUI & the command line with the latest SVN Win32 build, just when you use a command line, dont put any other options other than the file path (-p). Otherwise it freezes up when it closes. Kinda a pain for me, because I usually launch my ScummVM games with a command line from within a centralise GUI for all my intepreters/emulators. But only a small bug, and unlike most project teams, the ScummVM developers are damn fast in dealing with bugs.
h3xx

Hells yeah

Post by h3xx »

I'm glad there's a competent mass of monkeys (coders) working on AGI now. Sarien was (and still is) sooooo buggy.
h3xx

Post by h3xx »

Hey! they should build in support for the old INFOCOM text-based adventure games! :D
(j/k though it would be cool)
Collector

Post by Collector »

DarkSoul wrote:Only if the game in question had it, in otherwards the amiga versions of the games. The dos versions of the AGI Sierra games didn't originally have mouse support.
I have no Amiga AGI games, but I have almost all of the PC AGI games. I have had mouse support for years in my AGI games with NAGI. Brian Provinciano also had developed a mouse hack for the AGI games years ago.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Well I've been using version 2.06 of NAGI till recently, and I could use the mouse for the menu but not to move around. The recent release of 2.09 changed that. Maybe you were using a different version that I missed.
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

Hello

What are the required files for each game?

Thanks for your answer
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

h3xx wrote:Hey! they should build in support for the old INFOCOM text-based adventure games! :D
(j/k though it would be cool)
There are already several interpreters for the Infocom games, but I assume you knew that. Some of them are probably a lot better at font rendering than ScummVM will ever be, too.
h3xx

Post by h3xx »

eriktorbjorn wrote: There are already several interpreters for the Infocom games, but I assume you knew that. Some of them are probably a lot better at font rendering than ScummVM will ever be, too.
Yes I knew that. :)
I just like the SCUMM fonts and the ability to save in multiple slots. Not to mention the whole game launcher thing. I just had a flash of thought that said SCUMMvm might be able to better handle the games.
I guess what brought me there was the thought that the early SQ, PQ and KQ games are, for the most part, text-controlled, making it (in my mind) a half step between the old text-based adventures and the point-and-click SCUMM games.
P.S.
There are apparently some INFOCOM games out there with graphics too. 8)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

h3xx wrote:There are apparently some INFOCOM games out there with graphics too. 8)
Several, actually, even if you only count the ones that were made by the old Infocom employees. You can find a list at Wikipedia, of course. Then there were a couple of games that were released later under the Infocom label.

I've even heard a rumor that Simon the Sorcerer was released under the Infocom label at some point.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Hey, that's awesome! Most games are already running for good. Even fangames using AGI do work already. I don't think you need that much bug-finding on the games, but more on the engine itself since the games are running well if the engine is running well.
Btw: How would you implement this for non-keyboard systems like a PS2 or a PocketPC? Maybe an inbuilt keyboard field in the interpreter itself?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Adventureguy wrote:How would you implement this for non-keyboard systems like a PS2 or a PocketPC? Maybe an inbuilt keyboard field in the interpreter itself?
According to sev on the #scummvm IRC channel:

[02:12] <_sev> in fact there is much to do with agi engine
[02:12] <_sev> first is compatibility. sarien is not bug-less
[02:12] <_sev> expecially with some of fan-made agi clones
[02:13] <_sev> next, we want gbagi way of keyboard-less input. we've got permissions already
[02:13] <_sev> and last but not least is to turn it into proper c++
[02:14] <_sev> though it's one of the smallest engines in scummvm

So they've already got keyboard-less systems in mind for future development.
Last edited by dreammaster on Thu May 25, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.