GO GO ScummVM - AGI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

Ok, let's hope they'll finally make the IIgs sound work. In case you didn't know, the Apple IIgs versions of the AGI games had better music and sound (PCM sound effects, as a matter of fact). Sarien SHOULD support it but I never really managed to get it to work since it requires Sarien to be compiled in a special way and I never got replies from the authors with help. Perhaps the competent people working on ScummVM can make this happen! Would be awesome not to be stuck with those buggy IIgs emulators anymore :D
Collector

Post by Collector »

DarkSoul wrote:Well I've been using version 2.06 of NAGI till recently, and I could use the mouse for the menu but not to move around. The recent release of 2.09 changed that. Maybe you were using a different version that I missed.
2.06 is the version that I was referring to. The mouse can be used to move the main character.

From Nick Sonneveld's page for 2.06:

* Full Windows program
* Accurate execution of original AGI games
* Supports version 2, 3 and Amiga game formats
* Emulation of EGA and CGA modes
* Mouse support
* Full tandy music emulation with noise channel
* Checksum identification of games to select from a menu
* No stack patches, less errors, no worries about game id's

It's the menu/inventory systems that don't have full mouse support. Also from his site:

"Things to do:

* Mouse support <- working on menu/invent stuff"

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have all of my AGI games setup with NAGI 2.06 and I can move the characters with the mouse in them.

All of this is moot, though, as Sarien promises more, and its development will now continue via ScummVM.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Well I couldn't move characters with the mouse in 2.06, but I could with 2.09. I always assumed it was a mouse support issue. And on the mega-tokyo forums it was the one thing people bitched about the most when it came to NAGI. All I know is that 2.06 didn't have mouse support for myself and alot of people, a bug perhaps.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Now guys, as you're pretty familiar with different AGI interpretators, feel free to express your wishes and take a look at our AGI TODO list. All items there, especially with question marks require more discussion.

Eugene
df
ScummVM Developer

scumariem

Post by df »

well I joined up, since if I'm gonna hack on sarien (since I was working on sarien2...) I migth as well hack on this versions since I was refactoring the same codebase anyway...

looking at the agi todo list;

I dont know about using scummvm wordlist type stuff for keyboardless entry, i think something better is needed, since agi games can have a lot of words (and I'd rather use the full words.tok than a cutdown system like gbagi, whose big problem is that it often has missing words needed to complete games!!). some kind of popup keyboard with predictive text (like T9 for sms on phones... if you know it).. would be easier than scrolling through several hundered words...

I already have a better game detection system written thats a lot kinder/easier for homebrew game support...

-df / stu / old sarien codemonkey
comp1

Post by comp1 »

This is a very cool. A keyboardless entry system is desperately needed for the PocketPC! Full IIGS support will be great too. Will there be any easy way to extract resources like there is now for Mac disks?
Collector

Post by Collector »

This is probably not possible, but for mouse support it might be nice to be able to right click on something on the screen and have it "LOOK" at that object, like in the early SCI games. I realize that this feature might need to be already in the games themselves.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

First off: Holy Cow! I cannot believe this day has finally arrived. Kudos to the ScummVM team for building such a fantastic project. Kudos to the developers working on bringing back some of the greatest of my childhood memories.

Now . . .

Would some kind soul be so good as to compile the SVN with AGI for OS X 10.4?

Thanks in advance!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

bobablob wrote:Would some kind soul be so good as to compile the SVN with AGI for OS X 10.4?

Thanks in advance!
I think it's already been done, check out the thread for the Mac OS X Universal build in the Other Ports forum.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Well just completed Space Quest 0 - Replicated with ScummVM. No graphical glitches. I opened it with my central GUI (therefore used a command line) and it didn't crash on exit, so well done guys on dealing with that damn quick. In a few area's Roger kept moving on he's own, I'd click one way, he'd walk a little that way then turn around. But only a minor annoyance. The opening sequence was slown down immensely so I skipped it, and the game offered no option to close upon completion. I have a feeling these bugs are in the Sarien code, rather than what you've guys have done, as SQ0 was never tested on Sarien. But I won't know that till I try SQ1 and SQ2. All these errors do not appear in NAGI, so there's nothing wrong with the game itself. Next on the agenda, SQ1 :D , onwards to a galaxy not far enough away (quoted from SQ if you didn't know)

EDIT: Oh yeah and anything you type, which isn't on the main command line, i.e. saving, crew name etc, though it still works, you can't see what your typing. This is apparent in SQ1 when you try to retrieve the cartridge early on, so not a SQ0 only bug.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Now just finished SQ1, yay me. No slow down at opening sequence, and was able to close fine at completion. So that's definatly a SQ0 incompatibility with the Sarien code I reckon. But the movement bug did occur and thx to the Sarien ship I kinda figured out what triggers it. In game characters that move in a non linear pattern, either have random movement, or follow the player. With such an in game character on screen the movement goes to hell. But as before, nothing a few fast repeated mouse clicks won't solves :P

EDIT: Whoops, didn't update my version of Scumm. Ignore the typing bug, and the movement bug, both fixed already :oops: . So SQ1 is completeable bug free. The SQ0 opening and ending bugs are still there, but I'm not surprised, I still reckon thats a Sarien incompatibility.
crowley

Post by crowley »

Hi!

I just tried Larry 1. After the dance with fawn in the disco, fawn "hangs" on the table on her way back.

Screenshot

Regards
Sebastian
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

crowley wrote:I just tried Larry 1. After the dance with fawn in the disco, fawn "hangs" on the table on her way back.
Make sure you test with latest SVN. Then if possible, test with sarien and tell us whether the problem existed there. 0.9.0cvs of Sarien is preferred. That will let us know either that is our own regression or bug existed originally in Sarien. In case it is former, fixing will be considerably faster.

Eugene
crowley

Post by crowley »

sev wrote:
crowley wrote:I just tried Larry 1. After the dance with fawn in the disco, fawn "hangs" on the table on her way back.
Make sure you test with latest SVN. Then if possible, test with sarien and tell us whether the problem existed there. 0.9.0cvs of Sarien is preferred. That will let us know either that is our own regression or bug existed originally in Sarien. In case it is former, fixing will be considerably faster.

Eugene
Sorry, forgot to mention it. With the last sarien version 0.70 it runs without problem.

edit: Tested it with the latest sarien-version in cvs, 0.80cvs. In this version the error exist too.

Regards
Sebastian
crowley

Post by crowley »

DarkSoul wrote:Now just finished SQ1, yay me.
How did you do that? I can not leave the slot machine in the bar at Ulence Flats. You should press F10 to exit but when I press F10 the debugger window appears.

Regards
Sebastian