GO GO ScummVM - AGI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crowley

Post by crowley »

singalen wrote:Just tried nightly Windows SVN build with Larry 1.
At first worked great.
Windows console app doesn't terminate when game ends. Have to kill it.
Tab key doesn't show inventory.
Both works under linux without problem.
singalen wrote: Also I remember a key to enter a previously entered command into game command line.
F3

Regards
Sebastian
Certifiable

Post by Certifiable »

If the virtual keyboard from the DS edition could be used for the PS2 version, that'd make my day! Even starting Larry is impossible without a USB keyboard, and not everyone has one.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Completely unrelated to the discussion above, I would like to ask a technical question about the AGI engine in ScummVM.
I like to imagine how old games looked on different old systems, and the graphics settings in ScummVM is an easy way to do that. However, the render mode setting doesn't seem to work correctly with AGI games. The Hercules option have no effect at all, but more important is the CGA option, which does give an alternate output. However, this output is not one that was ever seen on any old computer. It seems to be the CGA composite graphics, compressed into 320*200 and somehow rendered in CGA palette 1. This is also how it is shown in DOSbox if you do not set machine type to CGA, but I still don't understand where the graphics come from...
Anyway, shouldn't it be quite easy to simply have the game switch into CGA RGB mode, which has a correct 4-color palette and renders as it should in DOSbox? It would of course be even more awesome if you could support proper composite rendering and the ability to switch between composite and RGB during runtime, just as the original interpreter does, but I guess I could just as well use DOSbox if I really want that functionality...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Render modes are currently only partially supported in the AGI engine. Anyway, if you are sure what you see is wrong, please file a bug report at our bug tracker.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Will do.

Just realized that what ScummVM does is reading 640*200 monochrome as 320*200 4 color, sort of a digital version of the analog cross-color effects attempted...