Audio devices and settings

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

necros

Audio devices and settings

Post by necros »

Hi, so many devices in settings what is the best considering me playing AGI and SCI titles on Win machine?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

It depends on the game. There is no right answer for this because of varying tastes.

The defaults are pretty good.

Having said that, if you don't mind spending the money, then getting an MT-32 will greatly improve the music of some early SCI games. PQ2 being my favorite test case.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

As getting an MT-32 is pretty hard (and expensive) nowadays, i can also advise to get a MU90 from Yamaha.
This is a General Midi device (used for every game possible here) and some of the early (MT-32 only) games may sound a little bit off in comparision, but if you also want to enjoy the beautiful MIDI music from other game developers at later ages, this is one of the best gear to do so.

@tsoliman

Space Quest III intro is an eye opener
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

MT-32 emulation through Munt makes hardware devices pretty much obsolete.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

1) Where do you get the ROM's from (legally)?
2) If you are on a platform without the grunt power games will crawl down to a dia-show on using the emulator.
3) Emulation NEVER reaches the quality of hardware.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

2) Even a Raspberry Pi 3 can emulate MT32 using the internal Scummvm MT32 emulation and games will run in a perfectly smooth fashion!

3) I have heard a real MT32 and I can't tell the difference with Scummvm internal emulation anymore, can you? Be sincere...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I can't tell, because i don't have the ROMS anymore (gave the MT-32 hardware to a dev), but back when i tried it it made i.e. Flight of the Amazon queen unplayable slow.

Maybe the emulation is really as good as you say, there is "still" the matter of getting those ROMs...lacking them renders the internal emulation useless.