Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Re: Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games

Post by almeath »

Thanks to feedback I've received, I put the current version number next to the download links. I'll also be adding a changelog page. Don't worry though, I'll still make an effort to keep this thread updated as new versions are released.
I was unsubscribed during the forum upgrades and have not been back here in a while. I am just checking that FatBoy 0.784 is the same version first posted here back in June? I have been using that one and it has been working flawlessly for me.

Thanks for providing a website, that will make it a lot easier to keep track of your progress. Keep up the great work.
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

almeath wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:29 am I was unsubscribed during the forum upgrades and have not been back here in a while. I am just checking that FatBoy 0.784 is the same version first posted here back in June? I have been using that one and it has been working flawlessly for me.

Thanks for providing a website, that will make it a lot easier to keep track of your progress. Keep up the great work.
I got unsubscribed too. But yeah, I believe it's the same version. If you're not sure, feel free to redownload.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

cwadge wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:53 am
Avenger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:50 amYeah, my settings match yours but when Leisure Suit Larry boots I'm still getting the default music that plays. It sounds nothing like the example you provided in the first post of this thread...
I just loaded it up with exactly the same settings from my last post, using FatBoy 0.784; this is how it sounds for me: https://youtu.be/FvmyJJFl1E8

Something must be wonky in your settings, ScummVM, or perhaps the game itself.
Avenger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:50 amWhat files are required in the ScummVM folder for optional sound fronts?
Nothing, just the normal game assets. All you need to do is have the soundfont on your system someplace, then set the relevant settings in the audio and MIDI tab.
Avenger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:50 amI do remember installing a minimum version of ScummVM back when I initially did that only came with the base few files to run games. Perhaps that's got something to do with it since the GOG games that come with it have a ton of unnecessary junk files.
The unecessary files don't matter much if you have the disk space. You might want to redownload ScummVM, reinstall, and double-check your settings. If you still can't get it to sound like my video, please post screenshots of your audio and MIDI tabs.
I finally had the time to dig into this further over the Christmas holidays and found out that your soundfront only works with the newer VGA version of the game. Those like me that prefer the game in a more graphically original state unfortuntely are out of luck.

Either way, I thank you for the vast amount of time you have put into the project and that in which you have spent trying to troubleshoot with me.

I'll keep a copy of it anyways and hopefully put it to use at some point.
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

Avenger wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 am I finally had the time to dig into this further over the Christmas holidays and found out that your soundfront only works with the newer VGA version of the game. Those like me that prefer the game in a more graphically original state unfortuntely are out of luck.

Either way, I thank you for the vast amount of time you have put into the project and that in which you have spent trying to troubleshoot with me.

I'll keep a copy of it anyways and hopefully put it to use at some point.
Yep, unfortunately. The original version predates MIDI in Sierra games; it uses PC speaker sound only. You CAN force ScummVM to use a SoundFont to replace PC speaker beeps, but it's all translated to bank 1, channel 1 which is grand piano by default. This can be neat, kinda reminds me of old silent film, but it can also be a bit weird when there are "sound effects".

I recorded a demo of Space Quest II, which also predates MIDI in Sierra games. But I've recorded it with the original PC speaker (emulated), forced general MIDI (using FatBoy), and IBM PCjr so you can see how it sounds with a few different backends.

https://youtu.be/AaWtNEBONos
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.785

Post by cwadge »

Very minor update I've been sitting on for a while, as it felt too trivial to release just for that. Better to get it in your hands than let it go to waste. :wink:

https://dl.fatboy.site/FatBoy-latest.7z

Changelog:
• Increased attenuation of GM reverse cymbal.
necros

Post by necros »

Can someone explain why latest Winamp with default settings plays MID file superb IMHO than AIMP with SF2 (tried fatboy, uhd3, nice keys ultimate2.3) on my machine? (VIA HDA sndcrd) My test MID was Garbage`s Push it song, check transition at 1:45. On the sidenote uhd3 was best to my ears after Winamp`s default)
NB. Winamp MIDI device was DirectMusic MS Synthesizer and MIDIout MS MIDI mapper - I heard no exact difference between them xept mapper gave more quiet music .
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

necros wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 am Can someone explain why latest Winamp with default settings plays MID file superb IMHO than AIMP with SF2 (tried fatboy, uhd3, nice keys ultimate2.3) on my machine? (VIA HDA sndcrd) My test MID was Garbage`s Push it song, check transition at 1:45. On the sidenote uhd3 was best to my ears after Winamp`s default)
NB. Winamp MIDI device was DirectMusic MS Synthesizer and MIDIout MS MIDI mapper - I heard no exact difference between them xept mapper gave more quiet music .
First a disclaimer: I don't run Windows and I didn't even know Winamp was still in use, let alone that it could play MIDI. You may simply have better success using different software. This is a popular soft synth for Windows, though I haven't tried it personally. Hopefully that'll give you better results. If not, maybe some Windows users can help you out.
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.786

Post by cwadge »

I'm not dead! Also, FatBoy 0.786 is available for download: https://fatboy.site
  • Added "Finger Snap" sample on Electronic Drums (key 19, bank 128, preset 24). Many thanks to Keppy for both the report and the sample.
Darktalon

Post by Darktalon »

Hey its cool to see this is still going, thank you for the work!
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

Darktalon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 am Hey its cool to see this is still going, thank you for the work!
You're very welcome. I've actually just ordered a Roland ED SC-D70 from Japan today, so development should actually be ramping up next month. Stay tuned... 8)
scarmona

Post by scarmona »

I just found this thread and tried out FatBoy with ScummVM 2.1 on Windows and Android, works like a charm!.
I have a lot of game testing to do, including Raspberry Pi (using RetroPie) but in the meantime I'd like to ask if it's possible to add the bass and "siren" sounds in the PQ3 intro, or maybe they're there but I need to tweak the configuration somehow?

Thanks for your great work @cwadge !
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

scarmona wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:09 pm I just found this thread and tried out FatBoy with ScummVM 2.1 on Windows and Android, works like a charm!.
I have a lot of game testing to do, including Raspberry Pi (using RetroPie) but in the meantime I'd like to ask if it's possible to add the bass and "siren" sounds in the PQ3 intro, or maybe they're there but I need to tweak the configuration somehow?
Actually I would not use FatBoy for PQ3. Reason being, that game was composed for the MT-32, not for General MIDI. The MT-32 was a precursor to the GM standard and behaves quite differently. It allows the dynamic uploading of samples for custom instruments and effects. In the case of a game like SQ3 or PQ3, the game uploads patches when it starts that are specific to that particular game. So, no SoundFont can really replicate the MT-32. Thankfully there is a really good MT-32 emulator called MUNT. It's also built-in to ScummVM, and I believe this includes the Android build. Try switching to MT-32 Emulation for that particular game and I think you'll appreciate the results.
scarmona wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:09 pm Thanks for your great work @cwadge !
You're welcome. :)
scarmona

Post by scarmona »

Thank you for the very quick reply!
I was using MT-32 emulation for the PQ3, I thought I would give FatBoy a try for that game.

I realize this might be a lot to ask, but do you have a list of games that FatBoy will "work" (as in sound awesome) with? I'm mostly looking for ScummVM-supported games, but any list will do :)

Thanks once again
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

scarmona wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm Thank you for the very quick reply!
I was using MT-32 emulation for the PQ3, I thought I would give FatBoy a try for that game.

I realize this might be a lot to ask, but do you have a list of games that FatBoy will "work" (as in sound awesome) with? I'm mostly looking for ScummVM-supported games, but any list will do :)

Thanks once again
Right now I'm tied up in a move, a full time job, and of course the usual life stuff... this means, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time at the moment. That said, any games that are General MIDI compatible should sound great with FatBoy. I've personally tested at least the following ScummVM supported games:
  • Space Quest V - VI
  • Leisure Suit Larry 4 - 6
  • King's Quest 5 - 7
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Lands Of Lore
  • Indiana Jones 5
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Sam & Max Hit The Road
  • Quest For Glory 1 (VGA), QFG3-4
  • Monkey Island 1 - 2
Probably quite a few more I'm forgetting as well. There are also some games which have soundtracks that were originally arranged for the MT-32, but ScummVM does an admirable enough job translating them to GM that they sound as good or better than their MT-32 originals (at least, IMO). For example, Laura Bow 1+2:

https://youtu.be/fc4Wz5Hzj5E

Have fun!
scarmona

Post by scarmona »

Great starting point!!!
Thanks again for the quick reply and the amazing soundfont you have created and made available for free.
Good luck on the move!