Quest for Glory questions

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Avatrunei

Quest for Glory questions

Post by Avatrunei »

I haven't played QfG since the old days and I plan giving it a run in the SVM. I would like to ask what happens when it comes to the point where you can export or import the stats of your character from one game to the other. I remember that in the original versions you saved it on a foppy or it generated a file on the HD. Does this happen on SVM?

Is it possible to import a character in the later games on SVM?

And a side question: anybody knows if the char file is compatible between platforms? Say that I finish the Amiga version of Trial by Fire and save a char file, can I use it for the PC-only Wages of War?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

You can import characters from earlier Quest For Glory games under ScummVM, though I am not sure how well it will work if you use an original savegame file:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Quest ... ory_series

See the Quest For Glory 2 page and others for notes on this:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Quest_for_Glory_II

Savegame compatibility like that is probably not supported, even with original interpreters, but you can always try and see. You would need to ask one of the SCI engine developers for an absolute answer, but it also depends on versions of the games so "Your Mileage May Vary".
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

Thank you for the informatin! Just one more thing: the links don't mention anything about what happens in the end of the game. As I said, when you finish a QfG game the stats of the character are saved, but does this happens when you finish the game in SCV?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Avatrunei wrote:Thank you for the informatin! Just one more thing: the links don't mention anything about what happens in the end of the game. As I said, when you finish a QfG game the stats of the character are saved, but does this happens when you finish the game in SCV?
The second link says that you need to rename an original interpreter character file, so it will be listed by ScummVM.

I guess ScummVM will do the same but will name the file correctly once you finish it.

I haven't played the game yet, so i can't tell for sure, but from reading the information it does look like it will work.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@digitall

Is it (was it?) possible to import a QfG I character into QfG III and IV, or was this prevented by Sierra, so only a character from the previous game was usable?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I imported a QFG3 ScummVM into QFG4 dosbox. I think you had to gunzip it.
This is in 2012 so I don't remember the details.

Update:

I just re-attempted the following and here are the results

QFG3 (ScummVM)->QFG4(dosbox) worked
QFG1 (ScummVM)->QFG4(dosbox) crashed
QFG1 (ScummVM)->QFG2(dosbox) worked
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

Raziel wrote: Is it (was it?) possible to import a QfG I character into QfG III and IV, or was this prevented by Sierra, so only a character from the previous game was usable?
I haven't tried it, but I remember from the manual of QfGIII that you can import a QfGI character.

But why miss a great game such as QfGII? :D
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Avatrunei wrote:
Raziel wrote: Is it (was it?) possible to import a QfG I character into QfG III and IV, or was this prevented by Sierra, so only a character from the previous game was usable?
I haven't tried it, but I remember from the manual of QfGIII that you can import a QfGI character.

But why miss a great game such as QfGII? :D
Youa re so right, i haven't played the third part yet, 1 and 2 are awesome.

I was asking because i wanted to update the wiki entry about importing characters from previous games.