Blade Runner WIP

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sawyer700

Post by sawyer700 »

Longcat wrote:Blade Runner is not supported yet. Although there has been a lot of progress lately, the engine is far from complete, and will probably not be playable until the end of the year, or even 2019.

I am very thankful for everything you guys do. I'll be waiting. This truly is something special!! 8)
mim2011

Post by mim2011 »

Yes there is no pressure, it is already very nice, take your time and have fun with the code 😆
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I wish I could be of help.

I have been looking in the game files (and a few decompiled dlls) as part of a comprehensive subtitled playthrough of the game that I'm working on.

One of the main tasks I'm doing is labeling/renaming each (extracted) speech audio file to indicate who says it, when they say it(...), its order and its content (what they say, usually in broad strokes). Maybe this could be of help somehow? It's still WIP but a big portion of it is done.

This was the first indication that a significant amount of content was dropped, was intentionally cut from the game or is unattainable due to some bug.

So far, I've been testing "hacks" for the save games to trigger such scenes where I don't know how to get the conditions for them in-game or if that's even possible. And a couple of times I've used video editing to restore some scenes.

I looked into the code in the ScummVM github and the work you have done is incredible. And the progress in the last few months is tremendous too. Really great work, keep it up!

There is at least one occasion where the code makes it clear why a trigger for a comment of McCoy's doesn't work. (eg. In the twin's lab there's a bug with the keyboard object naming).

I think it's going to be easy to fix bugs like that; there's another one in chapter 1 that can put the player in a dead-end state (after interrogating Zuben with zero clues about Lucy). It's not a common case (you have to overlook a lot of clues) but I've seen it reported in the early days when the game was released, and I was able to reproduce it.

It's probable be possible to also restore missing content. Some of it anyway, that can still work in-game.
carlo_bramini

Post by carlo_bramini »

Hello,
I was wondering if there is somebody, with this game in his hands, that would like to test and report to us his impressions. Actually, the only evidence of this engine running came from two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6cbl7J-jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wQlG5jXfjI

but now they are almost 3 years old.
I understand that it is not complete yet, but I'm curious to see it in action.

Sincerely.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

^^^
You can start the game, but the scummvm engine for it is not yet complete. I believe you also need to have everything on the hard disk too. There's a method mentioned in the pcgamingwiki that will do that for you.

Actually, the installer and the workarounds mentioned in the pcgamingwiki page for Blade Runner will probably suffice for you to be able to run the game without any issues on a modern Windows OS without ScummVM at this point. It's how I got it to run, and I own the original game (CD ROM, English Version).

There's been leaps of progress in the ScummVM engine code for Blade Runner though lately, if you've been checking github.
peterkohaut

Post by peterkohaut »

Praetorian wrote: So far, I've been testing "hacks" for the save games to trigger such scenes where I don't know how to get the conditions for them in-game or if that's even possible. And a couple of times I've used video editing to restore some scenes.
You can try grab development version (or build one by yourself) and I have added debugger console (ctrl-d) where you can make any actor say anything with command "say". For example "say 0 100" will make mccoy say "i'll do that".
There is no list of speech lines but you can find them in decompiled scripts in scvummvm repo, also there is list of actors in game_constants.h
There are more debugger commands, but it's not hard to find them.

I would say first chapter is almost playable, few features are missing - save/load, pathfinding, police maze/gunrange, and combat (but combat should be finished pretty soon) and some small details.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

feshi wrote:
Praetorian wrote: So far, I've been testing "hacks" for the save games to trigger such scenes where I don't know how to get the conditions for them in-game or if that's even possible. And a couple of times I've used video editing to restore some scenes.
You can try grab development version (or build one by yourself) and I have added debugger console (ctrl-d) where you can make any actor say anything with command "say". For example "say 0 100" will make mccoy say "i'll do that".
There is no list of speech lines but you can find them in decompiled scripts in scvummvm repo, also there is list of actors in game_constants.h

I would say first chapter is almost playable, few features are missing - save/load, pathfinding, police maze/gunrange, and combat (but combat should be finished pretty soon) and some small details.
I've been using the debugger since last week. It's a great addition, thank you! And very helpful with what I'm trying to do with the game. It's certainly easier than hex editing save game files to set flags, global vars and clues to actors.

I'm also curious to see what the algorithm for calculating the police maze score is. I've figured parts of it out by watching the save game state, but there are still details I'm missing, and it all seems unnecessary complex.
peterkohaut

Post by peterkohaut »

Praetorian wrote: I've been using the debugger since last week. It's a great addition, thank you! And very helpful with what I'm trying to do with the game. It's certainly easier than hex editing save game files to set flags, global vars and clues to actors.

I'm also curious to see what the algorithm for calculating the police maze score is. I've figured parts of it out by watching the save game state, but there are still details I'm missing, and it all seems unnecessary complex.
Thanks.

Please, if you want to help us contact us on irc, because we will be working on police maze/gun range pretty soon.
carlo_bramini

Post by carlo_bramini »

peterkohaut wrote:You can try grab development version (or build one by yourself) and I have added debugger console (ctrl-d) where you can make any actor say anything with command "say". For example "say 0 100" will make mccoy say "i'll do that".

Thank you for the reply.
As you can probably imagine, I do not own the game, at least not yet, so I was wondering if there could be some chances to see the progresses implemented from those short and old videos linked above, with the enhancements made possible by SCUMMVM, like interpolated high resolution graphics.
A teaser video, no more than that :)
However, if it is not possible or it is not worth yet, there is no problem. :wink:

Sincerely.
peterkohaut

Post by peterkohaut »

carlo_bramini wrote:... with the enhancements made possible by SCUMMVM, like interpolated high resolution graphics....
It look exactly the same as the original and with this kind of visuals, filters doesn't help much.
sawyer700

Post by sawyer700 »

all this Blade talk and videos make me believe this can work!
I'll have to try it again. I mean these 3year old video's look like it was on scummvm awhile ago.. I just cant wait anymore!! I'm 50 years old and time is running out.....lol...
And reguardless the fact, thanks to all the computer wizards who can help make someone else happy with sharing knowledge, gaming and time..
May good fortune smile on you guys everyday!!!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sawyer700 wrote:all this Blade talk and videos make me believe this can work!
I'll have to try it again.
At this moment we need more gameplay testing. However, there is no save support yet :( Otherwise, the game is close to be completable.

Eugene
sawyer700

Post by sawyer700 »

This is a beautiful thing, ya know; what u guys do!!! I couldn't thank you enough! For allowing me to regress to a time more relaxing......
I hope it will also be on android ScummVm.

Its like just out of reach and I can taste it...
Thank you for this game..I owe you one..... :D
sawyer700

Post by sawyer700 »

Any news??? I've been snooping from time to time to no avail????
carlo_bramini

Post by carlo_bramini »

sawyer700 wrote:Any news??? I've been snooping from time to time to no avail????
You could see it yourself, by browsing the commits at:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... laderunner
and in case somebody owns the game, helping with commits or testing.