ScummVM Release 1.9.0 Testing Has Begun

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM Release 1.9.0 Testing Has Begun

Post by sev »

Time flies quickly, and now it is time to start the release cycle for ScummVM 1.9.0.

Two new game engines became production quality, and we would like to ask you to test the following games:
  • Myst
  • Myst: Masterpiece Edition
  • U.F.O.s
Also, our SCI engine team has been busy improving the ScummVM experience with Sierra games, particularly with fixing the original script bugs. Thus, we would like to ask you to test several of those games as well.

The complete list of the games that require testing for this release can be found on our wiki.

Please use a daily build of ScummVM for testing. In case you encounter any bugs, there is a place for them to be reported at our bug tracker. Please, also track your progress in this thread and we can cross it out on the wiki. Please make sure to follow our guidelines for release testing which can be found here.

Also we're still lacking some screenshots so please don't forget to snap some during your gameplay.
Last edited by sev on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Stobbart

Post by George Stobbart »

Thanks for what you do.
Two questions: in the 1.9.0 version of Android will add the other languages to the menu (now is in English only)?
You will run Broken Sword 2.5 and the two Sherlock Holmes games?
For the moment these things work only in unofficial version of SCUMM but not in SCUMM 1.8 in playstore.
Thanks
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

George Stobbart wrote: You will run Broken Sword 2.5 and the two Sherlock Holmes games?
For the moment these things work only in unofficial version of SCUMM but not in SCUMM 1.8 in playstore.
Interesting. They should work, but apparently there are issues with the default build. Could you please download androidsdl port from our downloads page and tell if it works with these games.

And same questions regarding non-English GUI in that version.

Eugene
George Stobbart

sev wrote: Interesting. They should work, but apparently there are issues with the default build. Could you please download androidsdl port from our downloads page and tell if it works with these games.

And same questions regarding non-English GUI in that version.

Eugene
Thanks for the reply Eugene.

The two Sherlock Holmes (rose tattoo and serrated scalpel) work with the SDL version. It is also available all other languages. :)
I hope that in the new ScummVM Android also update the official version in the play store will work with these two games and menus in other languages. :)

Sorry for my English

Marcello
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Thanks for testing and reporting.

So, as the reality shows, we most probably will make this SDL version our new default.

Eugene
George Stobbart

Thank you.
One last thing I want to say.
In sdl version you can not drag the mouse. But the arrow appears at the point where I click. It will be improved when the official version would be right if the arrow shift mode remains. I hope you'll understand me, it is not easy to explain. Sorry for my off topic. :)
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

I think you mean relative and normal mouse mode.
Android SDL port has support relative (touchpad) mouse mode. You can switch it via startup-menu.
When run scummvm press button "change device configuration" in top part of screen. Select "Mouse emulation" then select "Advanced features" and add tick to "Relative mouse movement (laptopmode)".
Last edited by Lubomyr on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

sev wrote:Thanks for testing and reporting.

So, as the reality shows, we most probably will make this SDL version our new default.

Eugene
Please don't, the SLD version is not nearly as polished. As best I can tell, Broken Sword 2.5, Freddi Fish 5, and I assume the Sherlock Holmes games do not work with the current non-SDL version as there is no 16bit graphics support in that version. Could it be added?

While this is a thread about the new release and getting of topic. I'd be happy to compile a list of all the issues with the SDL port that make it much worse than the other build.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

OU812 wrote: While this is a thread about the new release and getting of topic. I'd be happy to compile a list of all the issues with the SDL port that make it much worse than the other build.
Please do, as it is first time I hear that it is worse than the OpenGL port.

Eugene
jepael

Post by jepael »

Regarding my CMS/GameBlaster audio fix (link), it is tested with both SCI and SCUMM engines (Jones in the Fast Lane, Monkey Island), and both engines have now the correct pitch. So it is better than DosBox now.

I know the fix is not a big one, but should it be mentioned in the NEWS file? If so, where, in the GENERAL section, or just both SCUMM and SCI as they seem to be the only two engines using CMS emulation.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Hi jepael,

I'll add it to the NEWS file, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll put it in the "General" section.
George Stobbart

Lubomyr wrote:I think you mean relative and normal mouse mode.
Android SDL port has support relative (touchpad) mouse mode. You can switch it via startup-menu.
When run scummvm press button "change device configuration" in top part of screen. Select "Mouse emulation" then select "Advanced features" and add tick to "Relative mouse movement (laptopmode)".
Thank you lubomyr :wink:
OU812 wrote: Please don't, the SLD version is not nearly as polished.
This is true, the sld version has worse graphics.
jepael

Post by jepael »

rootfather wrote:Hi jepael,

I'll add it to the NEWS file, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll put it in the "General" section.
Great. Thank you very much.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Here are a few of the issues I've encountered with the SDL port. Having tested in on 10+ Android phones and 3 tablets. Can give make/models if needed.

Loads slower on most devices

Forcing the 4:3 aspect ratio from the SDL launching menu make ScummVM un-usable if launched in portrait mode

Forcing the 4:3 aspect ratio from the SDL launching menu works in landscape then breaks when rotated into portrait

Won't let you edit game names using capital letters with the on screen keyboard

On screen keyboard icon can not be made completely transparent.

Background yellow to orange gradient is a blurry mess, yet visible in standard version.

Game launching menu screen truncates long game name earlier than standard version.

Menus are smaller, must scroll through tabs in the "options" menu. The "About" menu is smaller and harder to read.
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

George Stobbart wrote: This is true, the sld version has worse graphics.
Android SDL port uses by default smooth the video option.
If you disable this option then graphics will be the same.
You can disable it via startup-menu.

Comparison (screenshots)
device with FULL HD screen: 1920x1080
game: Broken Sword (640x400)
scummvm-gles: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/477 ... m-gles.png
scummvm-sdl (smooth video off): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/477 ... eo-off.png
scummvm-sdl (smooth video on): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/477 ... deo-on.png

But I prefer smooth the video option. It better look on device with low resolution.